Song of the Day #2,504: ‘Shut Up and Dance’ – WALK THE MOON

walk_the_moonThough we had a newcomer at the top spot of Billboard’s Hot 100, the second and third slots are repeats.

Fetty Wap’s ‘Trap Queen‘ sits at #2 while The Weeknd’s ‘Earned It (Fifty Shades of Grey)‘ comes in at #3.

That brings us to #4 and Ohio-based alternative band WALK THE MOON, whose ‘Shut Up and Dance’ is making a chart splash a full nine months after its initial single release.

This is an infectious bit of 80s nostalgia celebrating true love and letting loose on the dance floor. Its innocence is refreshing amid the debauchery that makes up most of Billboard’s Top Ten these days.

[Chorus]
Oh don’t you dare look back
Just keep your eyes on me
I said “You’re holding back”
She said “Shut up and dance with me”
This woman is my destiny
She said “Oooooh, shut up and dance with me”

[Verse 1]
We were victims of the night
A chemical, physical, kryptonite
Helpless to the bass and fading light
Oh we were born to get together
Born to get together

[Pre-Chorus]
She took my heart I don’t know how it happened
We took the floor And she said

[Chorus]

[Verse 2]
A backless dress and some beat up sneaks
My discotheque, Juliet, teenage dream
I felt it in my chest since she looked at me
I knew we were born to be together
Born to be together

[Pre-Chorus]

[Chorus]

[Bridge]
Deep in her eyes I think I see the future I realize
This is my last chance
She took my arm I don’t know how it happened
We took the floor And she said

[Chorus]
Oh don’t you dare look back
Just keep your eyes on me I said you’re holding back
She said “shut up and dance with me”
This woman is my destiny
She said “Oooooh, shut up and dance with me”
Don’t you dare look back
Just keep your eyes on me
I said you’re holding back
She said “shut up and dance with me”
This woman is my destiny
She said “Oooooh, shut up and dance with me”
”Oooooh, shut up and dance with me”
”Oooooh, shut up and dance with me”

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Song of the Day #2,504: ‘Shut Up and Dance’ – WALK THE MOON

Though I appreciTe the throwback sound, this song is a bit too paint by numbers pop for my taste. By the way, did they not steal a U2 guitar rift at the intro and break?

2. Maddie says:

I love this song, and I’m glad it’s getting popular! 🙂 Done with Dana saying that things are being stolen from other artists (especially freakin U2!!!) 😛

• Dana says:

this from the band itself:

For the intro, we actually used two guitar parts. The first is a guitar hitting an amp just at the verge of break-up, which is where I usually like to live. I very rarely use a totally clean tone. This guitar is playing the arpeggio of the main riff. The other guitar is just playing 16th notes on muted strings. This ‘helicopter’ sound, as we refer to it, is thickened with a dotted eighth note delay set with a relatively even mix of dry to wet signal. We found that the combination of these two sounds resulted in a really exciting, U2-inspired vibe.

I don’t think I’ve heard this song before, but I can see why it’s becoming popular, and I agree with Clay that it’s a refreshing departure from some of the other songs on the list!