Song of the Day #3,336: ‘And So It Goes’ – Billy Joel

Four months, six rounds, 64 contestants, and one Montauk Madness champion. He appeared in the very first matchup and he’s here at the end. Ladies and gentlemen, your winner: Mr. Billy Joel!

Joel faced off against Elvis Costello in the final round, and it was quite a battle. In fact, the outcome was decided by our closest margin yet, 51% to 49%. Just a couple of votes separated these two well-loved entertainers.

Fans from both Billy Joel and Elvis Costello Facebook groups got into the act, and the lead did change a couple of times. Lots of passion from these fan bases.

I was a little upset to see that support for one man was usually paired with disdain for the other. Costello fans harumphed at the thought of a middle-of-the-road talent like Joel competing against their man (not to mention the presence of smart pop tunesmiths like Carly Rae Jepsen and Taylor Swift in the contest). Fans of Joel dismissed Costello as irrelevant.

Can’t we all just get along? These arguments remind me of our current political climate, where there is no longer any room for compromise. It’s ok to like both of these guys but like one more than the other. Or if you don’t like one of them, why not try to understand and appreciate why so many other people do?

Thank you to everybody who participated in Montauk Madness. I have one more loose end to tie up tomorrow and then we’ll resume our regular programming.

In every heart there is a room
A sanctuary safe and strong
To heal the wounds from lovers past
Until a new one comes along

I spoke to you in cautious tones
You answered me with no pretense
And still I feel I said too much
My silence is my self defense

And every time I’ve held a rose
It seems I only felt the thorns
And so it goes, and so it goes
And so will you soon I suppose

But if my silence made you leave
Then that would be my worst mistake
So I will share this room with you
And you can have this heart to break

And this is why my eyes are closed
It’s just as well for all I’ve seen
And so it goes, and so it goes
And you’re the only one who knows

So I would choose to be with you
That’s if the choice were mine to make
But you can make decisions too
And you can have this heart to break

And so it goes, and so it goes
And you’re the only one who knows

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Song of the Day #3,336: ‘And So It Goes’ – Billy Joel

Boy, I must say I’m relieved that the vote didn’t go the other way because had my vote for Costello been the difference in this close a contest, I don’t know if my family would forgive me.

Of course, I think a special prosecutor would find that there were votes cast through the multiple devices loophole that likely did impact this outcome. I suppose those engaging in such conduct will rationalize their actions by saying the contest was unfairly influenced for a number of rounds by the solicitation of the Costello fan group. Still, I suspect if you stripped away both the multiple device votes for Joel and the outside influence votes for Costello, the core votes by your regular readers would have given Joel the victory, so I guess the right artist won, even if for the wrong reasons.

As for the shade being thrown by the respective fan groups, the irony for the Joel fans is that Joel greatly respected and was influenced by Costello, once saying that if he could write music like anybody, he would take Sting’s music and Costello’s lyrics. Many of the songs on Glass Houses, including in particular “I Don’t Want to Be Alone” and “Sleeping with the Television On,” reflect Costello’s influence.

Now, I’m not sure whether the same appreciation exists for Joel from Costello, and perhaps his fans’ dismissal of Joel is an outgrowth of that, but, needless to say, I do not share their opinions.

As I previously said, I would be happy to see Joel win this contest. He is certainly deserving of the honor, even if his path to victory was….well let’s just say…unorthodox.

2. Peg says:

Yay! So happy for Billy šŸ˜Š

3. Maddie says:

I’m excited to see Billy Joel as the victor of this contest. Although Taylor Swift or The Beatles would have made wonderful winners, the Costello fan base quietly and unfairly took both of them down. It’s only right that Joel wins now, in honor of both of them.

I remember quietly shuffling through my music collection as I worked in the living room area of my dorm in the first days of my Freshman year of college. “Scenes from an Italian Restaurant” came on, and I quietly sang along to the opening lines. I began to notice that one of my suitemates, Nicole, had a gleam in her eye. She was softly singing with me. As if on cue, we belted out “BRENDA AND EDDY” and continued to scream-sing each verse of the song, we both knew every word. It was the start of a beautiful friendship. We continued to use Joel’s music, blasting “Running on Ice” on repeat at the end of the year to make cleaning up the dorm a little less awful.

Anyway… all that to say that Billy Joel brings people together and he’s an incredible singer songwriter who deserves the Montauk Madness title.

• Dana says:

Interesting choice to blast “Running on Ice.” That’s always been one of my favorites of the lesser known deep cuts (even though it’s the first song on The Bridge).

4. The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

I’ve called myself a fan of Billy Joel’s music ever since I was kid and was first introduced to him mostly through the hits. Since then I have only delved deeper into his music catalog and since getting my car and driving places even deeper. I’ll run through “The Stranger” on the way to school and “An Innocent Man” on the way back (yes the traffic is that bad that I can listen to two albums). Therefore, I’d say my appreciation and love of Billy Joel is at a peak right now which I suppose perfectly coincides with him winning this competition. I think he’s the perfect candidate to win a competition like this with a prolific career of great music spanning throughout and only a deeper appreciation formed after deeer listening. This beautiful song perfectly ensures it.

Thank you for hosting this contest for us all. It was great fun to debate the specifics all the while enjoying the music of most of the contestants.

6. willedare says:

And thank you for leaving us with one of Mr. Joel’s many gems: “And So It Goes.”

7. Doug says:

This is a great site. Wish I’d known about it 3000 or so songs ago. This Clay guy is real talent. And what staying power. I’m a fan.