Song of the Day #3,735: ‘The Girl With Tim Burton Eyes’ – Daniel Gallup

Track two of the Daniel Gallup EP has the beautifully evocative title ‘The Girl With Tim Burton Eyes.’

I assume this is a reference to the large-eyed painting subjects featured in Burton’s film Big Eyes, unless the young lady in question has eyes like the actual Tim Burton. That would be unfortunate for her.

This is a decidedly millennial love song, in which our protagonist falls in and out of a relationship entirely via mobile phone. It’s a clever take that will one day feel quaint when phones are replaced by neural transmitters.

Continuing my ‘name the influence’ and ‘rank the song’ game, I’ll trace this pop bossa nova beauty back to Barenaked Ladies and slot it just behind yesterday’s ‘Inexplicable.’

The Girl with Tim Burton Eyes
Though we’ve never met in real life
She’s one of few in which I can confide
I feel so high when I see that screen light up
I may not know how she sounds
Or what she looks like from the neck down
But I know I only want her around
I’ve never felt so connected with someone until now

There’s no feeling like it when I get a notification
She speaks to me so much although I don’t know her cadences
And I don’t need to meet her I like it just the way it is
Got the best girl in my pocket
No way that I’m sharing this

No one’s ever been this close to me
Though we mostly speak in emojis
And acronyms like lol and brb
No 3 letters have ever meant so much to me

There’s no feeling like it when I get a notification
She speaks to me so much although I don’t know her cadences
And I don’t need to meet her I like it just the way it is
Got the best girl in my pocket
No way that I’m sharing this

Now she never replies and
I don’t know where she’s gone
Maybe I was too forward with my heart eyes
I search our messages to see where I must’ve gone wrong
We’ll probably never speak again
At least we’re still Facebook friends

There was no feeling like it when I got a notification
She speaks to me so much although I still don’t know her cadences
And I don’t need to meet her I liked it just the way it was
Got the best girl in my pocket
No way that I’m sharing this

8 thoughts on “Song of the Day #3,735: ‘The Girl With Tim Burton Eyes’ – Daniel Gallup

1. Dana Gallup says:

I hadn’t thought about the BNL influence, but I hear that now. Perhaps the artist himself will confirm the influence or let us know if there is another.😄

I always felt this song was catchy and contemporary enough to make it as a single. Maybe it can get a boost from Tim Burton fans or even the man himself.😜

To clarify, are you revealing your rankings as you go or simply featuring the songs in the order they appear on the EP? I love the humor in this song, which certainly reminds me of the tone of many. a BNL song. And, yes, the title is to evoke the many large eyed female characters in Burton’s films, though we had quite a few discussions where we wondered whether there’d be some super confused listeners out there. :). Though it is definitely a song for the millennial, Kerrie responded to it immediately when I played her a rough cut a few months ago. I’m guessing in an era of online dating, anyone can empathize with the song’s protagonist.

3. Kerrie says:

I love this track! Amy got to watch my reactions to hearing it for the first time and it made me smile throughout and laugh in all the right places. In fact, that was still true on listening to it again this morning. 🙂
    I don’t know if it’s because I’ve had the experience of online dating and using text message as the primary mode of communication for the early stages of a relationship, or because I work with college students and see these kinds of relationships playing out on a daily basis, but this song resonates for sure. “Maybe I was too forward with my heart eyes,” makes me laugh but also hits close to home. I love the way Daniel shared the vulnerability of his protagonist while keeping a sense of humor about it. It’s just perfect!
    And I TOTALLY hear the BNL influence (intended by the artist or not). Hadn’t caught it on the first listen, but I definitely hear it now.

4. Peg says:

While I am too old to compare it to groups I know nothing about, I do get the vulnerability of this kind of “dating”. Love the lyrics

5. The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

I can confirm that Tim Burton eyes refers to the Big Eyes paintings. I am honored to be mentioned in the same breath as Barenaked Ldies. I might have to put Pop Bossa Nova as my new genre.

6. Alex says:

I don’t know Barenaked Ladies that well, but I totally hear John Mayer here. And I LOVE John Mayer. Not the man so much, but his music. This song is perfect to relax to with a nice glass of wine.