Kicking off the final week of Round Threee of Montauk Madness is a showdown between two very different musical legends, Michael Jackson and Elvis Costello.

Jackson made his way here by defeating Belle & Sebastian with 86% of the vote and then easily winning the Motown Showdown with Stevie Wonder, 77-23. Costello bested Carly Rae Jepsen with 67% in Round One and John Mayer with 83% in Round Two. This will be his toughest competition yet.

That said, this isn’t much of a contest for me. As much as I enjoy Jackson’s music, he simply doesn’t have the depth or breadth of a master like Costello. Elvis gets my vote.

[Verse 1]
Hey pretty baby with the high heels on
You give me fever like I’ve never, ever known
You’re just a product of loveliness
I like the groove of your walk, your talk, your dress

[Pre-Hook]
I feel your fever from miles around
I’ll pick you up in my car and we’ll paint the town
Just kiss me baby and tell me twice
That you’re the one for me

[Hook]
The way you make me feel
(The way you make me feel)
You really turn me on
(You really turn me on)
You knock me off of my feet
(You knock me off of my feet)
My lonely days are gone
(My lonely days are gone)

[Verse 2]
I like the feeling you’re giving me
Just hold me, baby, and I’m in ecstasy
Oh, I’ll be working from 9 to 5
To buy you things to keep you by my side

[Pre-Hook]
I’ve never felt so in love before
Just promise baby, you’ll love me forevermore
I swear I’m keeping you satisfied
Cause you’re the one for me

[Hook]
The way you make me feel
(The way you make me feel)
You really turn me on
(You really turn me on)
You knock me off of my feet
(You knock me off of my feet)
My lonely days are gone
(My lonely days are gone)

[Interlude]
Acha-ooh!
G’on girl!
G’on!
Hee! Hee! Aaow!
G’on, girl!

[Pre-Hook]
I’ve never felt so in love before
Just promise baby, you’ll love me forevermore
I swear I’m keeping you satisfied
Cause you’re the one for me

[Hook]
The way you make me feel
(The way you make me feel)
You really turn me on
(You really turn me on)
You knock me off of my feet
(You knock me off of my feet)
My lonely days are gone
(My lonely days are gone)

[Hook]
The way you make me feel
(The way you make me feel)
You really turn me on
(You really turn me on)
You knock me off of my feet
(You knock me off of my feet)
My lonely days are gone
(My lonely days are gone)

Ain’t nobody’s business
Ain’t nobody’s business
(The way you make me feel)
Ain’t nobody’s business
Ain’t nobody’s business
But mine and my baby
(You really turn me on)
Hee-hee!
(You knock me off of my feet)
Hee-hee! Ooh!
(My lonely days are gone)

Give it to me
Give me some time
(The way you make me feel)
Come on, be my girl
I wanna be with mine
(You really turn me on)
Ain’t nobody’s business
(You knock me off of my feet)
Ain’t nobody’s business
But mine and my baby
G’on, girl! Aaow!
(My lonely days are gone)

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Song of the Day #3,314: ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ – Michael Jackson vs. Elvis Costello

1. Peter says:

Although “Thriller” is undeniable a masterpiece and much of Costello’s work is a bit… eclectic maybe, I vote vor Elvis. As Clay wrote: depth and breadth (I add: less plastic). Fun fact: one of the ten members of the Merritt fan club, a friend of mine, was a Jackson-enthusiast until she was at a Tift-concert for the first time and became her (second) biggest fan in Germany immediately. A curious move in my opinion.

While I recognize that this vote may cause some consternation among some in my household (and picking one of my son’s favorite Jackson songs to highlight doesn’t help!), this is an easy pick for me. Jackson’s talent was undeniable, but he mostly played in the genres of pop and R&B, neither of which is a personal favorite. Elvis, on the other hand, has successfully dabbled in almost every genre. So, yes, for his depth and breadth, and, frankly, the sheer musical satisfaction he has personally provided for the past nearly 30 years, Elvis easily gets my vote.

3. Peg says:

Jackson all the way for me!

• Peter says:

That’s fair enough! I have skeletons in the closet too: Believe it or not, I was not only at a Saga- but also at a Nazareth-concert recently and enjoyed both of them A LOT ✌🏼️😃!!!

4. The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

Ok ok. When I was on my road trip to Universal about a week ago I feel like I pretty much heard every Michael Jackson hit. (The Nelcha family are big fans). Though I enjoyed every single one, I noticed that songs like “Bad” and “P.Y.T” etc. all follow a very similar format which becomes somewhat formulaic. There’s always a tight bass hi hat rhythm going on, Michael Jackson makes noises over it and sings with his commanding voice and no doubt gives an amazing vocal performance on every record. However, this competition isn’t for best performer or even best singer. When listening to Elvis Costello you don’t often run into that problem of not being able to distinguish which song of his you are listening to. As one of the most versatile artist in the game, he goes from punk to recording crooners with Burt Bacharach. It has taken me a long time to get into Elvis Costello. Unlike Michael Jackson, Costello has a far more eclectic voice, but now I find that voice as part of his appeal to and my only regret is not being able to get past it sooner so that I could’ve listened to more of his awesome discography sooner. Elvis Costello is in that top tier when it comes to artistry and songwriting. No doubt he deserves to continue on to the next round.

• Maddie says:

Turns out the Gallup household isn’t going to be divided after all. I’m going to give this one to the songwriter too.

I loved MJ as much as anyone, but we’re talking about Elvis Costello here. It’s a sweep for our family!