Song of the Day #1,087: ‘Heavenly’ – Ron Sexsmith

Here it is, the day you’ve all been waiting for… the final post in my series of Ron Sexsmith Weekends.

I know these entries weren’t received with the enthusiasm that I hoped (and even expected, to be honest) but I’m still glad I stuck with them. If I’m going to keep the blog going, I figure I’ll wind up giving the weekend treatment to many of my favorite artists, and Sexsmith sits atop that list alongside many other greats.

Today’s song is another from his latest album, Long Player Late Bloomer. It has a gentle melody that reminds me of early Simon & Garfunkel, a style I’ve always adored. It’s a nice note to go out on.

I haven’t yet decided who will take over the weekend spots, but time is running out so I’d better do so quickly. Nobody in my music collection has the sort of extensive discography of Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello, so I’ll probably shift to more frequent, shorter series like this one. Feel free to post recommendations for future weekend spotlights.

Heavenly sunrise
Welcoming our day
It’s a heavenly love
That you and I survey

The morning wears her
Golden autumn dress
It’s a heavenly love
That you and I possess

Though our pockets are empty
We won’t let it get us down
There is so much to be thankful for
Pessimism’s so tempting
It’s spreading all over town
Where there is love, there’s an open door

All the birds are leaving
I hear it in their song
It’s a heavenly love
That you and I look upon

Though our pockets are empty
We won’t let it get us down
There is so much to be thankful for
Pessimism’s so tempting
It’s spreading all over town
Where there is love, there’s an open door

Heavenly sunset
Worshiping the earth
It’s a heavenly love
And we know what it’s worth

It’s a heavenly love
And we know what it’s worth

9 thoughts on “Song of the Day #1,087: ‘Heavenly’ – Ron Sexsmith

I’ve enjoyed your Sexsmith weekends. This is a lovely song and an absolutely beautiful video. The photos are amazing.

Applause has burst out in New Orleans over the end of these Sexsmith weekends:)

I must say though, I agree that this last album may have really hit his sweet spot–like the song, like the way it’s produced.

As for future themes….hmmm…the Eagles perhaps:) Okay, okay…how about Oscar nominated songs? Could be a nice way to blend movies and music (your/our two passions) and a nice historic tour as well.

3. Emme Rogers says:

What a lovely idea and tribute to a great songwriter to host Sexsmith weekends! Love it!

And Dana – sad to say based on your response that you have just lost me a lot of respect for the New Orleans music scene. Hopefully the rest of New Orleans recognizes a true gift and true talent when they hear it. This man is a little bit of magic, especially in his song writing.

~ Emme

4. Ellie Munroe says:

Only just discovered this and will go back and feast on all the previous weekend tributes!

I so much appreciate your featuring such a great artist.

Ellie

5. Laurie J. says:

Found out via Ron’s Facebook page that you had been featuring him on your blog – went back and checked out previous “Ron Sexsmith Weekends” – great insight into the music of an absolutely fantastic artist. Thank you – are you absolutely sure you can’t keep these RS Weekends going?

6. lou says:

hi. just stumbling on this after stumbling out of Ron’s concert last night in mtl. he was kind enough to meet and greet afterwards, signed my CD and posed for photos. what a lovely lovely man. any more down to earth and he’d be underground. i too will find and read the previous posts. when i listen to this, i’m transported back in time, it’s 1979, i’m singing in church, the sun is shining, and all that exists is hope. thanks.

• Ellie says:

Couldn’t agree more. We saw him in Nova Scotia this Spring and he really brought a light to the night. Such a gentle human being. And his music is powerful yet gentle too. Beautiful, clever lyrics with humour and romance. What more can anyone ask?

I was one of his “500” who preordered the CD and DVD, but not one of the 100, so didn’t get my lithograph signed. I brought it with me that night and explained to him that I had not got the signed copy sent to me. “I’ll just have to fix that for you, then, won’t I?” he said, and signed it to both my husband and me. Terrific.

I must defend New Orleans’ honor–musical and otherwise. I was actually just visiting New Orleans this week. We are not residents, so please don’t allow my comments to change your view of the Big Easy.

Anyway, if you have read other comments I have made during these weekends, I do like Sexsmith. I am just not bowled over by him as our blog host and, now, some of you others are. However, he is clearly a very gifted songwriter and, if he is liked by someone like Elvis Costello, who is perhaps my favorite of all artists, then he merits attention.

8. Adam Lane says:

Anyone who’s a big fan of Ron Sexsmith and Elvis Costello both is my kind of person.