Song of the Day #211: ‘I Am the Walrus’ – fiomily

fiomilyOK, this might just be my favorite video on YouTube. I happened upon these sisters named Fiona and Emily (aged 14 and 16, though they look much younger in many of their clips) and they’re irresistible.

They are English girls currently living in Germany and they’ve posted a bunch of clips of Fiona playing guitar while they share vocals, often pulling off complex harmonies with ease.

Their tastes are decidedly old-fashioned, with a lot of Beatles, some Rolling Stones, The Animals, America, Pink Floyd, The Who… one Radiohead song seems to be the only cover they’ve done of a song that was recorded in the past couple of decades.

All of their videos are wonderful but this one if my favorite of the ones I’ve watched for two simple reasons:

1. The “Ooohs” they trade off in the choruses, which sound exactly like the ones on the album, and;

2. The orange sweatshirt Emily Fiona is wearing, zipped up to her neck, as she bounces ever so slightly to the music with her arms pinned to her side.

I mean seriously, could this be any cuter?

6 thoughts on “Song of the Day #211: ‘I Am the Walrus’ – fiomily

Ole Fiona there makes me wonder what I’ve done with my life so far. When a 16 year old has that much natural talent and confidence, and has clearly done the work to back it up, it’s a bit daunting. The fact that she includes Emily in her videos is sweet, as she could certainly be a one-woman (girl?) show. I don’t know if cute is the word I’d use, but, yes, I find this video disarmingly charming.

didn’t mean to rhyme, btw 🙂

very cute and good stuff. Clearly we need to get our kids off Guitar Hero and put the real instruments in their hands!!

4. Kerrie Rueda says:

They don’t look 16 and 14, but I agree that this is a winner in every way. Very sweet and a great way to wrap up the week.

5. anto90 says:

only one mistake.. Emily is the girl playing guitar, while Fiona is her little sister. you’re right, they are irresistible and really like their covers

Thanks for the catch… I fixed it in the copy.