Song of the Day #160: ‘What I’d Give’ – Sugarland

sugarland2This song doesn’t have any particular meaning for Alex and me — in fact, today is probably the first time she’s ever heard it. But I find it to be such an effective expression of romantic longing that I felt it would fit in nicely this week.

This is the second “country” song of the week (country in that it is performed by a country act, though the song itself probably owes more to the blues). Throw in the Dylan song, which has been covered by plenty of country stars, and a bit of a trend is emerging.

I guess there’s a similarity in the no-nonsense earnestness that charactierizes a lot of country songs and the same qualities in good love songs.

What I’d give to bring you flowers
What I’d give to get you alone
What I’d give to bring a smile across your face
What I’d give to take you home
What I’d give to make you coffee
Find out how you like your eggs
Wrapped around you in the mornin’
A tangled lace of arms and legs

(Chorus)
What I’d give to let you love me
Find out everything that brings you joy
Wake up to your face above me
I’d be that girl and you could be that boy
Find out why that feelin’ is…
Oh, what I’d give, what I’d give

What I’d give to take you dancin’
What I’d give to make you mine
If you got questions, I got answers
And my answer’s “yes” to you every time
What I’d give for just one minute
What I’d give to count all the ways
If your heart was dark with nothing in it
I’d give you mine and take your place

(Chorus)
What I’d give to let you love me
Find out everything that brings you joy
Wake up to your face above me
I’d be that girl and you could be that boy
Find out why that feelin’ is…
Oh, what I’d give, what I’d give

8 thoughts on “Song of the Day #160: ‘What I’d Give’ – Sugarland

I like her voice very much, and this song is both earnest and passionate, great traits both for an effective love song. I bought this album after you featured it earlier this year, but I haven’t listened to it all that much. Still, I’ve liked all that I’ve heard. I could see this being one of my favorites on the album.

Now… when do we get back to the songs that have meaning to you and Alex, hmmmmm? When do we get Hootie and the Blowfish? 😉

I just said I’d feature love songs, not that they’d necessarily have specific meaning to Ale and me. That said, the two that finish out the week (Friday and Saturday) are more along those lines.

Why not change this blog to Country Song of the Day? Yes, this song is country, and not because it is sung by a country singer. And no, it ain’t blues. I’m not a fan of the Sugarland I have heard so far–pretty ordinary country music to my ear. Can we PLEASE get back to non-country songs???? Perhaps even a song with more than 3 chords?

Start your own blog if you don’t like the songs featured here. So says me 😛

I find it interesting that you are equally dismissive of country music and foreign films… what a fascinating combination of hangups! 🙂

really! dismissive of foreign films, I had no idea. I’m just so impressed with the romantic lyrics; I’m sure Alex is loving it too 🙂

7. Alex says:

Alex is absolutely loving it!

For the record, I am NOT dismissive of foreign films. Indeed, I have enjoyed many foreign films over the years.

As for country music, it just ain’t my thing.