Song of the Day #3,267: ‘Gone For Good’ – The Shins vs. Lucinda Williams

None of the Round Two Montauk Madness matchups have been laughers so far, but this is the first one I’ve found truly difficult.

Lucinda Williams advanced easily over Garbage, picking up 91% of the votes, while The Shins won in more of a squeaker, besting Coldplay with 55%. I voted for both of them in those battles. But who should I vote for here?

Williams has been recording for a decade longer and has released twice as many albums, so she has that going for her. I could argue, though, that her best work is behind her, while James Mercer seems to just be hitting his stride. Should that even matter, or should these votes be more about the whole career?

I’m going with Williams on the strength of her classic Car Wheels on a Gravel Road and the several wonderful albums that surrounded it.

Untie me, I’ve said no vows
The train is getting way too loud
I gotta leave here my girl
Get on with my lonely life

Just leave the ring on the rail
For the wheels to nullify

Until this turn in my head
I let you stay and you paid no rent
I spent twelve long months on the lam

That’s enough sitting on the fence
For the fear of breaking dams

I find a fatal flaw
In the logic of love
And go out of my head

You love a sinking stone
That’ll never elope
So get used to the lonesome
Girl, you must atone some
Don’t leave me no phone number there

It took me all of a year
To put the poison pill to your ear
But now I stand on honest ground, on honest ground

You want to fight for this love
But honey you cannot wrestle a dove
So baby it’s clear

You want to jump and dance
But you sat on your hands
And lost your only chance

Go back to your hometown
Get your feet on the ground
And stop floating around

I find a fatal flaw
In the logic of love
And go out of my head

You love a sinking stone
That’ll never elope
So get used to used to the lonesome
Girl, you must atone some
Don’t leave me no phone number there

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Song of the Day #3,267: ‘Gone For Good’ – The Shins vs. Lucinda Williams

I am largely indifferent as to both of these artists and don’t expect either to advance much further. I’ll give the nod here to the Shins as I like the style of music better and lucinda’s voice tends to annoy me, though I admit she is a talented songwriter.

I’m familiar with these artists primarily through your blog, so my choice to vote for Lucinda is a testament to how effectively you’ve made the case for her over these many years.

3. Rob says:

I’m going with Lucinda Williams here, though I am a fan of the Shins as well. “Car Wheels On A Gravel Road” is a gem of an album, as well as several of the albums that followed. I can’t say I’m a big fan of her blues based albums, but the others are all very strong, with brilliant songwriting.

4. Peg says:

Lucinda is my vote for the the reason as Amy stated

5. The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

I was first exposed to The Shins through your gifting to me of “Port of Morrow”, an album that I’ve become a rather large fan of and has lead me to further delve into The Shins’ catalog. I too have only heard about Lucinda Williams through this blog but there are other singer songwriters in this competition I prefer as well as other female singer songwriters I much prefer. For this one I have to go with The Shins.

6. Peter says:

One of the easiest choices ever – I even love Dr. Lu’s early Blues-Albums, no matter if official or not😎 Her songwriting is special, honest and world-encompassing. And as the likeable blog commentators kicked out Tift I am seriously thinking about illegal methods to… no, don’t worry, respect and truth is what the US need now, I’ll start to manipulate when the tweeter in chief has gone😇