Song of the Day #605: ‘Crash and Burn Girl’ – Robyn

Here’s an album I haven’t thought much about since I bought it a couple of years ago. But like many of my “forgotten” CDs, it’s a consistently rewarding listen.

Robyn is a Swedish performer who had some success internationally in the late 90s as a teenager. She fell off the map after that early success and eventually made her comeback in 2005 by forming her own label and releasing a self-titled album. The new material had an electro-pop and hip hop feel to it and was reportedly influenced by Madonna’s later work. It received a U.S. release in 2008, which is when it came to my attention.

It’s not Madonna I hear on my favorite tracks on Robyn… it’s Prince. Today’s SOTD is probably the best example — Robyn delivers the verses in a high-pitched half-spoken, half-sung style that totally emulates His Purple Highness.

The song is a wake-up call to a self-destructive party girl and a good example of the sort of genre- and tempo-shifting that Robyn pulls off repeatedly on this album.

I should write a song about you and all the shit that you do
You don’t even know what’s up
But soon it all comes crashing down on you
Since we’re on the subject
Tell me why your name’s in the dictionary when I look up idiot
Check yourself, it’s very necessary

Stop listen what’s that sound
Supersonic spinning round
You don’t mind the fall
Until your face hits the ground

Crash and burn girl
Goin’ down down down down down
Crash and burn girl
You don’t mind the fall
Until your face hits the ground

You should have a sticker on you saying Warning Keep Out
You’re the kind of girl that’ll mess you up for life
That’s smashing up his car
Crying on his doorstep
Waiting in the rain all night
And did you tell him you’re the kind that
Never show your ugly side until you sticking like glue

Stop listen what’s that sound
Supersonic spinning round
You don’t mind the fall
Until your face hits the ground

It’s just that every time you mess it up like that
I see myself in you
I’ve been there too
And there’s so many times I stand beside
And see what you are going through
Where you’re headed to

Crash and burn girl
Goin’ down down down down
Crash and burn girl
You don’t mind the fall
Until your face hits the ground

Crash and burn girl
You keep on banging your head
Girl your shirt’s all red

Crash and burn girl
You don’t mind the fall
Until your face hits the ground

5 thoughts on “Song of the Day #605: ‘Crash and Burn Girl’ – Robyn

  1. Amy says:

    Your musical tastes and interests never cease to amaze me. While the lyrics of this song could be sung by any number of types of artists, the moment that synthesized music comes out of the speaker, it stirkes me as being something completely OTHER than what you would listen to… yet here it is 🙂

    Well, it’s certainly other than I listen to, though I can hear why you liken it to Prince, another artist I appreciate who I rarely actually listen to. Still, I like the song well enough. It’s just that it seems as though it should be in the background while I’m straining to hear the conversation of the person with me at the dance club where this song is playing far too loudly for conversation to occur at a normal volume level. So when would I seek out to play such a song in my everyday existence? Probably never.

  2. Clay says:

    My stock answer to any “where would I listen to this” question is: While driving, and while mowing the yard. That’s when I do 90% of my music listening, with the other 10% coming while sitting at the computer writing this blog.

    I find that music with thick beats makes for great driving (and mowing).

  3. Dana says:

    I can hear both the Prince and Madonna influence in her. but the reason I would sooner return to many a Prince song over something like this is that, generally, Prince does something a bit less conventional with the music that rewards repeat listening. Here, the music is so straight forward, it becomes a bit redundant after awhile. I’m not suggesting the song is bad, but since I don’t mow the lawn or dance, I have no need to hear it more than once.

  4. Clay says:

    But do you drive?

  5. Dana says:

    Yes, I drive, but as my family will attest, I scare people when I dance while driving:)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.