Song of the Day #405: ‘Hungry Like the Wolf’ – Duran Duran

duranduran20 Best Songs of the 80s – #3

Duran Duran is one of the most successful and best-loved bands on this list, and one of the artists I wish I’d been more into at the time. I find myself really enjoying their songs now when I happen upon them and I wonder how it is they slipped past my radar back in the early to mid-80s. I suppose I can blame that on my sister, Amy, through whom I was exposed to most music back then (funny how it works the other way now).

Rio, in particular, is an album I feel I should own, lo these 27 years later. It is another example of my ‘three great songs make a great album’ rule, with the songs in question being the title track, today’s SOTD and the elegant ballad ‘Save a Prayer.’ I’m working up quite a little wish list through this exercise, and Rio is high on it.

Speaking of my sister, ‘Hungry Like the Wolf’ is perhaps the one song on this list for which I have a crystal clear specific listening memory. The scene is my bedroom. Amy is standing on a chair hanging something on the wall. I am sitting on the floor, working on a Lego Main Street set.

The 45 of ‘Hungry Like the Wolf’ is playing on my turntable. At the end of the song (the 3:32 mark, to be exact), a woman howls. Amy, believing this sound to be a cry for help by my mother on the other side of the house, leaps from the chair and lands on Lego Main Street.

Maybe it’s not such a mystery why I never got into Duran Duran.

Dark in the city night is a wire
Steam in the subway earth is afire
Do do do do do do do dodo dododo dodo
Woman you want me give me a sign
And catch my breathing even closer behind
Do do do do do do do dodo dododo dodo

In touch with the ground
I’m on a hunt down after you
Smell like I sound I’m lost in a crowd.
And I’m hungry like the wolf.
Straddle the line in discord and rhyme
I’m on a hunt down after you.
Mouth is alive with juices like wine
And I’m hungry like the wolf

Stalked in the forest too close to hide
I’ll be upon you by the moonlight side
Do do do do do do do dodo dododo dodo
High blood Drumming on your skin it’s so tight
You feel my heat I’m just a moment behind
Do do do do do do do dodo dododo dodo

In touch with the ground
I’m on a hunt down after you
Scent and a sound. I’m lost and I’m found
And I’m hungry like the wolf.
Strut on a line it’s discord and rhyme
I howl and I whine I’m after you
Mouth is alive all running inside
And I’m hungry like the wolf.

Hungry like the wolf
Hungry like the wolf
Hungry like the wolf

Burning the ground I break from the crowd
I’m on the hunt down after you
I smell like I sound. I’m lost and I’m found
And I’m hungry like the wolf
Strut on a line it’s discord and rhyme
I’m on the hunt down after you
Mouth is alive with juices like wine
And I’m hungry like the wolf

11 thoughts on “Song of the Day #405: ‘Hungry Like the Wolf’ – Duran Duran

So funny (and boy was I a good and concerned daughter ;P)

Your suggestion aside, very few of the songs that appear on your top 20 songs of the 80’s support your theory that my musical taste had anything at all to do with yours. Let’s face it – I had sappy love songs, Thriller (*clears throat loudly*) and a bunch of other 45’s (“Physical,” – now THAT’S a video :). “For Your Eyes Only,” – guess that falls into the sappy love songs category?, “I Want a New Drug”) that seem not to have been on your 80’s radar at all.

Still, I am very happy that you included this song as Kerrie can now rest easy, and it certainly is one of the most memorable songs – and bands – of the 80’s.

(did you ever rebuild lego town?)

I don’t mean that I liked whatever you liked, just that I probably wasn’t exposed to much that didn’t start with you, at least in the early 80s. MTV changed things, of course, bringing a lot of this music right to us.

Somewhere in Denver, a sigh of relief may be heard….Rest easy, Kerrie, Duran Duran makes the list! All is well with the 80’s world (except for poor Huey Lewis, who remains stunned and confused by his omission).

So, here’s my confession, at the risk of causing outrage in the Rockies—I never really liked Duran Duran. Now, I did really like Rio (great bass line–slappin’ the bass πŸ™‚ ) and thought Save a Prayer was okay, but I never cared much for this SOTD and I didn’t really like much else that they put out on or after this album. Girls on Film and Is There Something I Should Know annoyed me. I also didn’t like The Reflex, View to a Kill, or Notorious. I think perhaps that Le Bon’s voice may have been the first to start my general dislike of that Euro sound and Euro voices. As Le Bon became more pretentious with the band’s popularity, much like Bono and U2, I just had no use for them in my music listening world.

But should they be on this list? Absolutely. And I, for one, am glad they are because it means that, by Clay’s definition, this band never really made it out of the 80’s. πŸ™‚

Uh oh… I sense a Kerrie smackdown on the way!

I’m enjoying all the memories the SOTD produces, and yes you were and still are a good and concerned daughter Amy!

Dana knows a hell of a lot about a band he doesn’t like! I never heard of half the albums or songs he mentioned. I never particularly liked this song (probably due to the story Clay shared), but I do like Rio. That’s a great song. And I agree that Duran Duran belongs here but not more than Michael Jackson! (and I don’t care how many times you refer me to your “rules” – MJ should be represented in a list of 80’s songs)

If I were able to access YouTube, I would embed the Thriller scene from 13 Going on 30 here πŸ˜›

7. Kerrie says:

Yes, that was a sigh you heard from the general direction of Denver, but not one of relief, rather one of great appreciation. Duran Duran was THE 80s band for me.

Now, I know that this will shock you, but there is no smackdown on the way. I actually agree with Dana that their later albums were not as good and I, too, lost interest in them at some point. I did enjoy the album “Seven and the Ragged Tiger” (which immediately followed “Rio”), but I especially didn’t care for “Notorious.” In fact, the song “Wild Boys” which was on the next album, “Arena” was probably the last Duran Duran song I really liked and I don’t know a thing about their stuff that came out in the late 80s or beyond. I don’t know why my interest waned, but their early 80s stuff is still among my favorite music.

Their eponymous debut album was very good and I think “Anyone Out There” is my favorite from that album. “Rio,” of course, produced a bunch of hits as well as some lesser known but great songs. The SOTD is a classic and I think if you were breathing in the 80s you knew/know this song.

Duran Duran’s “Seven and the Ragged Tiger” tour was my second concert (it would have been the first, but we saw Big Country the week before at the FAU Auditorium) and the tickets were a gift from my sister for my confirmation. I remember being at the Hollywood Sportatorium (remember that place??) and screaming to the point of complete laryngitis for about 2 days after. It was FANTASTIC!!! Serioulsy, every 12 year old girl’s dream. I still smile thinking about it and I’m just glad that Clay gave “D squared” their proper place near the very top of the 80s countdown! Well done!! (And thank you!!) πŸ™‚

Here’s that 13 Going on 30 scene for Amy:

9. Kerrie says:

I have to side with Amy on this one. I mean, I get that it’s YOUR blog and all, but I don’t get how you have an 80s countdown and don’t include two of the most major stars of that era (regardless of what they did before or since).

Michael Jackson and Madonna both left indelible marks on the era and their sounds and images changed and evolved with the decades. Surely you’d agree that the Madonna of today is not the Madonna of the 80s. Jsut sayin’!

No doubt those two were huge in the 80s, but my rationale for leaving them off this list was that both are bigger than the 80s. They are superstars who happened to rise to prominence in that decade (although Michael actually started recording hits many years earlier) but I don’t think of either of them as “80s artists.”

That said, you will all have an opportunity to present your own lists according to your own criteria. I don’t expect any of them will be similar by more than a few titles. And that’s a good thing!

Oh I forgot about Wild Boys–hated that song too:)

Basically, other than Rio (the song)–I haven’t liked anything from Duran Duran.