Song of the Day #208: ‘Lake Charles’ – danielhassixstrings

danielsixIt takes some guts to post your version of a bona fide classic. But if you do it as good as this guy has with Lucinda Williams’ ‘Lake Charles,’ why the hell not?

I love what he’s done with the vocals… his Nick Drake-like whispering, delicate delivery is a fascinating counterpoint to Williams’ rugged and bluesy performance. And he has sped up some lines, swallowed others, to take something familiar and make it just new enough.

I think I’m kind of gay for this guy.

I feel such envy for people who can perform and sing this well, especially on the guitar. I’m getting pretty good at Guitar Hero but it’s just not the same. 🙂 I’ve always wanted to be able to pick up an acoustic guitar and belt out something beautiful like this.

But alas, my talents lie elsewhere (I’m not sure where exactly, but elsewhere).

20 thoughts on “Song of the Day #208: ‘Lake Charles’ – danielhassixstrings

I totally want to meet this guy. But what the hell is sitting on EVERY SHELF in his bookcase? I so wonder what he was up to…. no pretense in the delivery. Gap shirt, reading the lyrics off his computer monitor, yet he wants to record his rendition for some reason. An audition of sorts? A gift? Fascinating.

So far he wins my vote for Meet Me in Montauk Idol 🙂 And that’s quite an honor.

(btw, it’s not too late to pick up a guitar and learn the real thing.)

“Dan Hardin really hasn’t done much with music professionally, but he’d like to. Occasionally he sings in front of, or at least near, real live people. ”

Okay, I just LOVE that 🙂 Just became his fan on Facebook and found a cover of “Romeo and Juliet” that is just wonderful.

Love the lyrics sitting in his lap in this clip. What a discovery!!! That’s one of your many talents, Clay. Discovering great artists and introducing them to your readers 🙂

He could get a job writing for Colbert or Jon Stewart if the whole singer/songwriting this doesn’t work out.

This is one of his own songs… nice stuff.

(Sorry to be spamming your page 🙂 Just thought I’d add to the Daniel Hardin page.

Last one I promise. If you watch just one, watch this one….

Is Lake Charles considered a classic by anyone other than you? or anyone who is not a Lucinda Wiliiams fan? I know I am not a big country music fan, but I didn’t know that this had earned “classic” status (like Piano Man, Born to Run, You’Ve Got a Friend, Your Song, Islands in the Stream, Stand By Your Man, etc…) Let’s not throw “classic’ around too liberally!

Anyway, classic or not, it’s a wonderful song and I love this guy’s delivery of it. Dare I say i might like it more than Lucinda’s, but I will have to hear hers again before going out on that limb!

Well, I consider it a classic and it’s my blog, so that’s my criteria!

This guy is extremely talented. I wonder how good his original stuff is (I like the one Amy linked above).

Here he is covering ‘The Only Living Boy in New York’:

Somebody should sign him just to record covers.

Okay, call it classic if you like, but this is the problem with blogs vs. journalism—blogs allow for many falsehoods:)

Oh, and, let’s keep in mind that you didn’t just call it a classic, but a “bona fide classic.” Shall we change the name of this blog to Meet me Hyperbole?

This is commentary, whether in blog form or any other… it is about opinions, not facts. There can be no falsehoods in matters of opinion. I said good day!

Ah, but see, there are some opinions that may be singularly held (i.e., this artist is great, terrible, or the Pollo Tropical roll is not good) and some that are formed through group consensus (this artist is a legend or a superstar, this song is a classic or a mega-hit or nobody likes the pollo tropical roll). So, you can not have the singular opinion that this song is a “bona fide classic” when 99 out of 100 people may not have even heard the song, and, even if they did, they would not characterize it as a classic. I said good night, sir!

I would counter that Williams’ album Car Wheels on a Gravel Road is a “classic” by any definition, and this is one of the most-loved songs on it (based on critical and fan reception)… therefore it follows that this song, too, is a classic.

At any rate, I like to use the word classic to characterize something that I feel has a memorable lasting impact, even if it’s only on me.

I fear Dan Hardin is getting lost in the “classic” debate here, fellows. Let’s get back to what should be the focus of this particular entry – the discovery of a great new artist (who may or may not be the next “bona fide classic,” but we’ll never know if we don’t give him the chance he deserves!) 🙂

16. Kerrie says:

I have never listened to Lucinda Williams (sorry, Clay), but I really enjoyed this song (at least this version of it). I look forward to listening to all the other songs you all have found by this gentleman.

And I think I’ve figured out the answer to Amy’s question about what is on his bookshelves. They aren’t actually bookshelves, they’re drawers in one of those plastic towers and he hasn’t removed the stickers from the front of each of the drawers. 🙂

Another good find, Clay! Have you ever considered going into A&R for a record company?

You’re right, Kerrie! That’s exactly what’s going on there. Great catch 🙂 And thank you for finally addressing the most pressing question I posed. Clearly nobody else was up to the challenge 😉

18. Mark says:

Says another, “kind of gay for this guy”? Smile, it is one of the best voices I have heard in my life, and I studied music and voice, sang solo, and in groups, concerts…. his voice, my 7-year-old daughter Heather Marie loves intensely, and she said she she wants to marry him (smile). I hope he comes to Sacramento, where my daughter and I will fight for a front-row seat; where’s his CD? Hey gang, I gotta idea! Let’s all send him 20 bucks to get a CD out! (smile). Honest, clean, lyrical, crisp and clear, you would’ve thought he was there when the songs were originally written. And that makes him much older than me! All one can say is a quiet ‘wow’. His CD, my fireplace, a bottle of wine, and my sweetheart… perfect combination, huh?

Welcome to Mark from Sacramento 🙂 If Dan Hardin has fans from coast to coast on this blog alone, then surely he could sell some records. I’ll send him my 20 bucks!

I’m not sure where the week of YouTube artists was; I can’t seem to find it 😦 So I figured I would post this other gem by mr. tornadocanemusic on what came to be Dan Hardin’s page (no disrespect to Ms. Lucinda Williams 🙂