Song of the Day #3,548: ’22’ – Lily Allen

Taylor Swift’s ’22’ wasn’t eligible for today’s slot because Swift already made the cut with ‘Fifteen.’ But that’s fine, because I already have a ’22’ song I like better.

Lily Allen’s 2009 sophomore album, It’s Not Me, It’s You, matched, and maybe topped, her celebrated debut. She seemed on the verge of massive stardom, or at least the kind of sustained critical acclaim few pop artists enjoy.

But Allen had trouble navigating the pressures of the music industry and wound up on a 5-year hiatus, during which she changed her professional name to Lily Rose Cooper, got married, had two kids, got divorced and changed her name back to Lily Allen. A long-awaited third album, 2014’s Sheezus, fell flat.

This summer, she’ll return with a new record, one she promises will be more personal than her last. I hope it’s the comeback she deserves, one that lives up to the standard she set with her first two albums.

For now, here’s a live performance of ’22,’ a song about a woman who has seen her 20s fade away before her eyes. Allen was 23 when she released this song, and she’s 32 now.

[Verse 1]
When she was 22, the future looked bright
But she’s nearly 30 now and she’s out every night
I see that look in her face, she’s got that look in her eye
She’s thinking, “How did I get here?” And wondering why

[Chorus]
It’s sad but it’s true how society says
Her life is already over
There’s nothing to do and there’s nothing to say
Until the man of her dreams comes along
Picks her up and puts her over his shoulder
It seems so unlikely in this day and age

[Verse 2]
She’s got an alright job, but it’s not a career
Wherever she thinks about it, it brings her to tears
Cause all she wants is a boyfriend; she gets one-night stands
She’s thinking, “How did I get here? I’m doing all that I can”

[Chorus]

Until the man of her dreams comes along
Picks her up and puts her over his shoulder
It seems so unlikely in this day and age

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Song of the Day #3,548: ’22’ – Lily Allen

1. Dana Gallup says:

I seem to recall Sheezus, at least the song, being pretty cool and provocative.

Anyway, quite the Live Aid sized crowd at that concert and I think the cameraman appreciated Lily’s legs.😊

2. Peg says:

Imagine feeling old at 30. How crazy 😜 is that ! Hate these lyrics

3. Andrea katz says:

“Ah, but I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now”
    Dylan