Song of the Day #3,498: ‘Feeling Good’ – Nina Simone

[Guest blogger Madison continues her look at the best use of music in 2017 television shows]

My favorite new show of 2017 is Marvel’s Legion, which allowed creator Noah Hawley to blast into creative overdrive to create something artistic and unique within the Marvel Universe.

For this superhero loving lady, Legion was just one of quite a few boundary pushing shows and films featuring characters from the Marvel Universe (Logan, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Thor Ragnarok, The Gifted, and Runaways stand out as highlights).

Chapter 6 of Legion, directed by Hiro Murai (known for his music video direction and, recently, the show Atlanta), features one of the stand-out musical moments of the season. Aubrey Plaza’s performance as Lenny Busker (aka the horrifying leech attempting to take control of our hero) is creepy, funny, sensual and thrilling all at once.

Legion is quite complex with many twists, so to describe this scene in too much detail would only serve to confuse everyone and potentially deliver spoilers for those curious to check out the show. Suffice to say, Lenny is “Feeling Good” about her chances of claiming David’s (Dan Steven) mind as her own. She dances around the various chambers of her psychological torture, reveling in her accomplishments and wit.

Murai exercises his eerie music video style to create a scene that feels like a departure from the show’s “reality.” We hate what Lenny is doing to David, but her victory dance to a Nina Simone classic is infectious.

Chapter 6 is far from the only episode of Legion to have a stand out musical sequence. In fact, the following chapter features a completely jaw dropping, tense scene set to Ravel’s ‘Bolero.’ I opted to use ‘Feeling Good’ since it qualifies as a clearer, contemporary use of music and the scene is far less demented and confusing.

Still, I’d like to note here that Legion’s first episode kicks off with a fantasy dance sequence to a Bollywood hit, ‘Masala Fair,’ and has final fight sequence set to Pink Floyd’s ‘Breathe (In the Air)’ and ‘On the Run.’ There is no shortage of creative and innovative music use in this FX show.

[Intro]
Birds flying high, you know how I feel
Sun in the sky, you know how I feel
Breeze driftin’ on by, you know how I feel

[Refrain]
It’s a new dawn
It’s a new day
It’s a new life for me, yeah
It’s a new dawn
It’s a new day
It’s a new life for me, ooh
And I’m feeling good

[Verse 1]
Fish in the sea, you know how I feel
River running free, you know how I feel
Blossom on the tree, you know how I feel

[Refrain]
It’s a new dawn
It’s a new day
It’s a new life for me
And I’m feeling good

[Verse 2]
Dragonfly out in the sun, you know what I mean, don’t you know?
Butterflies all havin’ fun, you know what I mean
Sleep in peace when day is done, that’s what I mean
And this old world is a new world
And a bold world, for me

[Bridge]
Stars when you shine, you know how I feel
Scent of the pine, you know how I feel
Oh, freedom is mine
And I know how I feel

[Refrain]
It’s a new dawn
It’s a new day
It’s a new life for me

[Outro]
I’m feeling good!

9 thoughts on “Song of the Day #3,498: ‘Feeling Good’ – Nina Simone

1. Dana Gallup says:

Well, I must admit that this scene and your effusive praise for the show has got me interested. I just have no idea when I will have a chance to watch. Too many great shows on TV nowadays and too little time!

This looks like one gloriously twisted show! That ‘Bolero’ clip is particularly bizarre. Like Dana, I’d love to watch this but have no idea when I’d be able to fit it in.
    This is my wife’s favorite song, by the way.

3. Peg says:

Wow first this is my husband’s favorite song and We discovered Noah Hawley from one of our favorite shows Fargo. Also he was a book club read for me Before the Fall. This is a wonderful video but my favorite scene using this song was in Professor Martsen and the wonder women. Hope you all get a chance to see it one day 😊

4. Doug says:

Nina Simone’s feeling good is my favorite too. This guest blogger is doing a heck of a job.

5. Maddie says:

I’d also like to apologize for using “creator,” “creative,” and “create” in one sentence. Oops.

6. Alex says:

This has been my favorite song for so long. I remember it being used in Handmaid’s Tale this year also. Aubrey Plaza looks pretty scary in this scene. I like how they took this classic song and distorted it just a little to show viewers – especially those of us who haven’t watched the show – that this is a pretty messed up character.

• Madison says:

I forgot they used this in Handmaids as well! Another great overlap lol I’m also a big fan of the distortion in this version. Aubrey really got to have fun with this one.

I love Hiro Murai’s direction of Atlanta, which is so different from his work here. What a golden age for a television director thIs is. Maddie has warned me of the graphic violence in this series, which has kept me from wanting to watch it. In fact, I’ve taken her warnings to heart so much that I couldn’t quite convince myself this scene starts with a pan of cherry pie and not body parts. Like all of you, I love this song and have loved every scene Maddie has shared with me.