Song of the Day #3,382: ‘Burning Love’ – Elvis Presley

Note: Because I posted my Random Weekend Tom Petty SOTD during the week, I’m using this slot for the weekday post that was bumped.

Mother’s Day was months ago, but here’s another chance to honor your mamas, as Day 20 of the 30 Day Music Challenge asks you to name ‘A Song That Reminds You of Your Mom.’

Many artists fit this bill for me, from Frank Sinatra (who, to be fair, reminds me even more of my father) to Traveling Wilburys, Carole King, Carly Simon, George Winston, Paul Simon and Bruce Springsteen.

But the first song to come to mind was Elvis Presley’s ‘Burning Love,’ which has long been a favorite of my mom. In fact, she has named it twice already as part of this challenge, for both ‘A Song That Needs To Be Played Loud’ and ‘A Song That Makes You Want To Dance.’

[Verse 1]
Lord Almighty
I feel my temperature rising
Higher higher
It’s burning through to my soul
Girl, girl, girl In fact,
You going to set me on fire
My brain is flaming
I don’t know which way to go

[Chorus]
Your kisses lift me higher
Like the sweet song of a choir
You light my morning sky
With burning love

[Verse 2]
Ooh, ooh, ooh
I feel my temperature rising
Help me, I’m flaming
I must be a hundred and nine
Burning, burning, burning
And nothing can cool me
I just might turn into smoke
But I feel fine

[Chorus]
Because your kisses lift me higher
Like a sweet song of a choir
And you light my morning sky
With burning love

[Verse 3]
It’s coming closer
The flames are now licking my body
Won’t you help me
I feel like I’m slipping away
It’s hard to breath
And my chest is a-heaving
Lord, have mercy
I’m burning a hole where I lay

[Chorus]
Your kisses lift me higher
Like the sweet song of a choir
You light my morning sky
With burning love
With burning love
(Ah, ah, burning love)

[Outro]
I’m just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “Song of the Day #3,382: ‘Burning Love’ – Elvis Presley

1. Peg says:

Like your choice Clay 😊 I don’t think of a particular song for my mother, but she loved being Irish and so I will go with Oh Danny Boy. It always brought tears to her eyes ❤️

• Amy says:

I’ll use this as an opportunity to share another song/movie scene combo I can’t believe none of us thought to feature the other day!

2. Dana Gallup says:

I already featured one song that reminds me of my mother, but in a sad way, Norah Jones’ “Don’t Know Why.” So, today I’ll pick a song that reminds me of my mother when she was full of life. It was the 70’s when my dad was overseas in Okinawa and my parents were separated both geographically and maritally. It was the height of the disco era and my sister’s friend, Ron, loved to go out dancing. My sister was rarely interested, but my mom was a more than willing companion. My sister would often stay home with me while mom would stay up until all hours of the night and morning. One song my mom particularly loved to dance to, so much so that she bought the album, was Thelma Houston’s “Don’t Leave Me This Way.” I still can picture mom dancing around in the kitchen playing this record. So, mom, if you’re up there somewhere, and have a decent wifi signal, click on the link below and start dancing!

3. Peg says:

I’m sure she is Dana ❤️

4. Doug says:

It’s odd, but I don’t associate any song or genre of music with my mother. She did love Broadway shows and I remember distinctly her raving over My Fair Lady and Camelot, both of which we played over and over after she’d seen the shows. So I guess I’ll settle on Camelot’s soundtrack.

5. Maddie says:

Actually a bunch of songs that could fit this for me, but I’ll go with the first one that came to mind:

• Amy says:

Mom approves 🙂 And I love this performance. We see him in a couple of weeks, this time with John Hiatt. Just love this song and this man.

As Clay indicates in his post, there are lots of options here. I can see mom dancing around to Bruce Springsteen’s “Dancing in the Dark” and making her famous commentary about tall men in white suits standing next to short men in black suits during “You Can Call Me Al,” but the song I most associate with her is Fleetwood Mac’s “The Chain” and her unabashed love for it when we used to exercise to it during an aerobics class we took at some point in the 80’s. I don’t recall ever hearing or knowing the song before that, so it made its first impression on me through my mother’s enthusiasm for it. When Harry Styles recently covered it, I was able to share with my son how his grandmother really loved that song back in the day. So, that’s my pick.

7. Rob says:

This is a no-brainer for me. One of my fondest memories as a child was listening to my mother sing along to the soprano arrangement in Ennio Moricone’s “The Finale” in “Once Upon A Time In The West”, while making Sunday dinner for a family of 8. I consider this to be one of the most beautiful melodies ever written. My mother nailed it every time. I miss her dearly. Here’s one for you Mom.

• Clay says:

Simply beautiful. I’m picturing an Italian dinner, and I can almost smell the sauce.

• Rob says:

Very good call … many spaghetti dinners were prepared to this soundtrack – with Mom’s own tomato sauce. I’m listening to the track now on my iPod, and it still leaves me breathless. I have memories of doing my homework on the dining room table and listening to Mom in the kitchen. Brings tears to my eyes every time.

• Peg Clifton says:

So beautiful and this is why I love the mix of opera and film