Song of the Day #3,380: ‘Rocket Man’ – Elton John

It’s time for everybody to admit their age, as Day 19 of the 30 Day Music Challenge calls for ‘A Song From the Year You Were Born.’

In my case, that’s 1972, and I had quite a list of impressive works to choose from. Some of my favorites include Jackson Browne’s ‘Doctor My Eyes,’ The Rolling Stones’ ‘Tumbling Dice’ (and all of Exile on Main Street, for that matter), the Eagles’ ‘Peaceful Easy Feeling’ (already used in this game), and Al Green’s ‘Let’s Stay Together.’

My pick, though, goes to Elton John’s ‘Rocket Man,’ given new exposure in recent weeks by our idiot president’s war of words with North Korea’s idiot supreme leader.

[Verse 1]
She packed my bags last night, pre-flight
Zero hour: 9:00 a.m
And I’m gonna be high as a kite by then
I miss the Earth so much, I miss my wife
It’s lonely out in space
On such a timeless flight

[Chorus]
And I think it’s gonna be a long, long time
‘Til touchdown brings me ’round again to find
I’m not the man they think I am at home
Oh no, no, no! I’m a rocket man
Rocket man! Burning out his fuse up here alone
And I think it’s gonna be a long, long time
‘Til touchdown brings me ’round again to find
I’m not the man they think I am at home
Oh no, no, no! I’m a rocket man
Rocket man! Burning out his fuse up here alone

[Verse 2]
Mars ain’t the kind of place to raise your kids
In fact, it’s cold as hell
And there’s no one there to raise them if you did
And all this science I don’t understand
It’s just my job five days a week
Rocket man! Rocket man!

[Chorus]
And I think it’s gonna be a long, long time
‘Til touchdown brings me ’round again to find
I’m not the man they think I am at home
Oh no, no, no! I’m a rocket man
Rocket man! Burning out his fuse up here alone

[Outro]
And I think it’s gonna be a long, long time

8 thoughts on “Song of the Day #3,380: ‘Rocket Man’ – Elton John

1. Dana Gallup says:

I was fortunate to have been born in one of the greatest years for music – 1967. Just take a look at this list to see what I mean: https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/bg_hits/bg_hits_67-x.html.

It’s really hard to narrow down to just one song in a year that saw the release of the Beatles’ lauded album Sgt. Peppers, Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl,” Aretha Franklin’s “Respect,” The Rolling Stones “Ruby Tuesday” and so on. For my pick though, I’m going to go with a song that to me epitomizes 1967: Procol Harum’s classic “A Whiter Shade of Pale.” I have no idea if this band ever released another song. I also have no idea what the lyrics mean, but I’ve always loved the song.

2. Rob says:

This one falls into the “no-brainer” category for me. I came into this world in 1963. At that time it appeared that people weren’t quite sure what to listen to. Songs by Al Martino and Bobby Vinton hit the charts, along side with the first hits of the Beach Boys and Jan and Dean. But the song I’m going with is the ground-breaking “Be My Baby” by the Ronettes … a song written by the great team of Jack Berry, Ellie Greenwich and Phil Spector, and produced by Spector … that wonderful wall of sound.

3. Peg says:

You know you are old when all the artists in your research for 1945 are dead. That said Carousel was written that year and one of my favorite songs from any musical If I Loved You will always live on. That’s why they keep remaking the classics 😊

4. Peg says:

Doug likes As Time Goes By 1943 another oldie but goodie 😊

5. Maddie says:

1995 wasn’t exactly a golden music age, but it does happen to be the release year of the first Ben Folds Five album… so there!

As Dana says, we have a bounty of music from which to choose in 1967. I decided I wanted a song that speaks to the journey ahead, so I wavered between the Beatles’ “When I Was 64” or “Both Sides Now” but wanted to feature Joni Mitchell (who wrote it thought it was Judy Collins who released it in 1967). In an interview, Mitchell talked about this song being her farewell to childhood. Regardless, it’s a beauty.