Our next Montauk Madness matchup pairs off a couple of celebrated veteran singer-songwriters, Paul Simon and Lucinda Williams.

Simon dispatched Elton John in Round One and had an even easier time knocking out Sting in Round Two, with 90% of the vote. Williams faced off against a couple of indie acts, topping Garbage in the first round and picking up 71% to defeat The Shins in Round Two.

As much as I love Williams’ passion and grit, she walked into a buzzsaw here. It will take a lot for me to vote against Paul Simon, and it won’t happen this round.

Many’s the time I’ve been mistaken
And many times confused
Yes, and I’ve often felt forsaken
And certainly misused
Oh, but I’m all right, I’m all right
I’m just weary to my bones
Still, you don’t expect to be
Bright and bon vivant
So far away from home, so far away from home

I don’t know a soul who’s not been battered
I don’t have a friend who feels at ease
I don’t know a dream that’s not been shattered
Or driven to its knees
Oh, but it’s all right, it’s all right
For lived so well so long
Still, when I think of the road
We’re traveling on
I wonder what went wrong
I can’t help it, I wonder what’s gone wrong

And I dreamed I was dying
And I dreamed that my soul rose unexpectedly
And looking back down at me
Smiled reassuringly
And I dreamed I was flying
And high above my eyes could clearly see
The Statue of Liberty
Sailing away to sea
And I dreamed I was flying

Oh, we come on the ship they call the Mayflower
We come on the ship that sailed the moon
We come in the age’s most uncertain hour
And sing an American tune
Oh, it’s all right, it’s all right
It’s all right, it’s all right
You can’t be forever blessed
Still, tomorrow’s going to be another working day
And I’m trying to get some rest
That’s all I’m trying to get some rest

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Song of the Day #3,308: ‘American Tune (Live)’ – Paul Simon vs. Lucinda Williams

Easy pick on this one. Simon moves on!

2. The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

Paul Simon obviously. I think I didn’t comment earlier because it was such a no brainer. 😀

Wow, I don’t think I realized just how much you love Paul Simon until I read this comment – she walked into a buzz saw?! Yay

• Clay says:

You must not recall (any why would you?) that I named Simon as my #1 songwriter in a list six years ago. https://meetinmontauk.com/2011/09/09/song-of-the-day-1154-paul-simon/

• Amy says:

Just went back and read that insightful thread, so thanks for the link. An interesting aside… “Hearts and Bones” was written about Carrie Fisher. Does that make it any lesser of a song?

• Clay says:

I must be forgetting the lines where he mentions her role in Star Wars and the times he appeared on Saturday Night Live. I never said that music having its roots in personal experience is a bad thing… I argued that the kind of specificity Swift uses makes it more difficult for a song to be truly universal.

• Amy says:

Yay? Not sure how I intended to complete this thought, but I’m pretty sure “yay” wasn’t it. :). So… if you remind us of your previous list should we also take that as a clue regarding who would win this year’s contest if you were the sole voter?

4. Peter says:

Although my nickname during my first trip to Ireland was Paull Simon… It’s ridiculous to vote for him when there is The One and Only Dr. Lu as an alternative 😂