Song of the Day #3,283: ‘She’s No Lady’ – Lyle Lovett vs. Bruce Springsteen

Arguments about artist selection, seeding and who should beat who aside, this Montauk Madness bracket system ultimately works, producing plenty of heavyweight matchups already.

Lyle Lovett vs. Bruce Springsteen is a doozy, pitting two of the best songwriters and lyricists I’ve ever heard against each other in just the second round.

Springsteen got here by dispatching John Mellencamp in a unanimous vote, while Lovett came close to his own sweep, besting Elliott Smith with 89%.

I can make an argument for either choice here, but my gut tells me to go with Lyle Lovett. Lots of people have been inspired by Springsteen to do the Springsteen thing, but Lyle Lovett is a genre unto himself. He’s also one half of the inspiration (along with yesterday’s featured artist) for my younger daughter’s name.

She hates my mama
She hates my daddy too
She loves to tell me
She hates the things I do
She loves to lie beside me
Almost every night
She’s no lady she’s my wife

The preacher asked her
And she said I do
The preacher asked me
And she said yes he does too
And the preacher said
I pronounce you 99 to life
Son she’s no lady she’s your wife

And I can’t remember
How I met her
Seems like she’s always just been hanging here off my right arm
And I can’t remember
How I ever
Thought that I just couldn’t live without a woman’s charm

And even though
She loves the smell of French perfume
And even though
She walks around in high-heel shoes
All I know
Is I’m the one who pays her price
Man she’s no lady she’s my wife

And I can’t remember
How I met her
Seems like she’s always just been hanging here off my right arm
And I can’t remember
How I ever
Thought that I just couldn’t live without a woman’s charm

Yea she hates my mama
She hates my daddy too
She loves to tell me
She hates the things I do
She loves to lie beside me
Almost every night
She’s no lady she’s my wife

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Song of the Day #3,283: ‘She’s No Lady’ – Lyle Lovett vs. Bruce Springsteen

If I were to cast this vote among two great artists solely based on productivity, Bruce would win. However, for all of the album’s Bruce has put out over the past 4 decades, I only really gravitate to a handful, maybe 3-4 albums and if I were to weigh that handful against Lyle’s best 3-4 albums, Lyle comes out on top and therefore gets my vote here.

2. The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

I love Bruce Springsteen and very few performers share his vitality on stage. When I was asking my mom if my band should do any Bruce Springsteen’s songs she gave me a skeptical look and we reached the conclusion that The Boss can’t really be covered, certainly not by a high school band.

All that being said, I’m going to have to go with Lyle Lovett on this one. I would say Lyle Lovett and Bruce Springsteen are par for par in storytelling, music, and lyricism. However, at the end of the day I don’t think any song will resonate with me as much from Springsteen’s catalog as “The Road to Ensanada” or “If I Had a Poet”. Lyle Lovett is a true artist who stands out on his own. An artist with the ability to make hilarious songs such as “Fat Babies” and then go for a powerful ode to the simple life and reflecting on our past with a song like “Natural Forces”. Throughout his discography he remains one of the strongest most consistent artists and I just can’t wait for another album.

• The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

Meant “If I Had a Boat”. Probably was just thinking poet since that’s also how Lyle Lovett could be described 😛

3. Gary Rogatz says:

Lyle Lovett does not compare to the Boss in any way, shape, or
    singing/song writing. Just compare albums sold and that should tell you there is no comparison. I knew the Gallup’s would go for
    Lyle on this one. Unfortunately, Lyle cannot hold a candle to
    the Boss.

4. Peg says:

I’m with Gary on this one; the Boss all the way; not even close.

5. Rob says:

I like Lyle Lovett, but I love Bruce Springsteen. When I first heard “Thunder Road” when I was 18 years old, I would’ve sworn Sringsteen cracked open my head and wrote a song about what he found. He captured my late adolescence to a tee. No contest for me … Bruce gets the vote.