Song of the Day #2,634: ‘Freaks and Geeks’ – Childish Gambino

childish_gambinoThis early track by Childish Gambino is the reason Rap Genius was invented. Check out the annotation of these lyrics on that website to fully appreciate all of the double and triple meanings Donald Glover is stacking up here.

In terms of music, beat and delivery this track isn’t much to write home about but I love his ability to turn a phrase.

[Verse 1]
Alright, Gambino is a mastermind, fuck a bitch to pass the time
Mass appeal, orange rind, smoke your green, I’m spendin’ mine
The beat is witches brew, but beware this shit is potent
E.E. cummin’ on her face, now that’s poetry in motion
Yeah, Gambino make it work, I’m the boss move somethin’
Yeah, this cool fuckin’ suits me, swag two button
Yeah, these girls be actin’ crazy when they’re dancin’: Black Swan
I ain’t fuckin’ at the club, put your clothes back on
This beat is a disaster, 9/11 this track
Rappers wanna battle me, I have to mail their heads back
And my clique make that dinero, so it’s time to meet the fuckers
I am runnin’ this bitch, you are just a dog walker
Leavin’ with your girl when we last seen each other
You fuckin’ with the baddest like we tag team Rihanna
Fly girl on her knees, she don’t wanna come near me
My dick is too big, there’s a big bang theory
Got her picture in my iPhone, what do y’all think?
While y’all niggas masturbate, I’m in that Ariel Pink
If I am just a rapper man, you could’ve fooled me
I’m the shit, when these dudes talk, they talkin’ bull me

[Verse 2]
Okay (alright) I’m down with the black girls of every single culture
Filipino, Armenian girls on my sofa
Yeah I like a white girl, sometimes we get together
Need a thick chick though, so it’s black and yellow, black and yellow
Love is a trip, but fuckin’ is a sport
Are there Asian girls here? Minority report
Put your team on the map, Blake Griffin on the court
Niggas bitin’ off my tracks, need a knife and a fork
We the illest, need a nurse, here’s the cheque, grab your purse
Unless we fuckin’, then I’ll pay for all the food on the Earth, man
I got some pussy that was insane, so insane, it’s an enemy of Batman
I’m dominant, niggas call me faggot cause they closeted
I’m hot as shit, comin’ outta the backside of a rocket ship
It’s monster shit, you dudes are the opposite of Loch Nesses
Respond to this, we can squash the beef right now like sausages
Chillin’ with my n-words, say it like a white kid
Yes your booty’s big as hers, say that to my white bitch
So she don’t get embarrassed, my dick is made of carrots
Bunnies wantin’ to be fed and I meant honeys, oh forget it
I have worked all winter, I will not fail summer
In the back of the bush, like Gavin Rossdale’s drummer
Yeah, my stinger’s in her flower, I hope she lets me pollinate
Workin’ hard as shit, yeah this beat is made from concentrate
Nigga can’t you tell that my sample of Adele
Was so hot, I got these hood niggas blowin’ up my cell?
Swag out the ass, I’m the man, fuck chico
Took the G out your waffle, all you got left is your ego
Think about it for a second, man we eatin’, where’s your breakfast?
Man, you hungry have this sandwich, got my wallet, cheese and lettuce
An elephant never forgets, so my dick remembers everything
Green inside your wallet is that pussy open sesame
Runnin’ the game, fuck am I sayin’, runnin’ the Earth, give me a month
Told all you niggas I’m in it to win it cause havin’ an Emmy just wasn’t enough
You get sloppy drunk, I stay whiskey neat
My clique should be cancelled: Freaks and Geeks

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “Song of the Day #2,634: ‘Freaks and Geeks’ – Childish Gambino

I appreciate the cleverness of the lyrics, but, for whatever reason, I don’t find him nearly as compelling as someone like Eminem. It might be the music. Daniel loves him though:)

2. Peg says:

I hope Daniel is not listening today ;(

3. The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

Peg, I am very sorry to say Daniel is listening today and is loving it! I have in a very short period of time become very immersed in all of Childish Gambino’s music and this was one of the first songs I heard from him. I too think his ability to have not just one but up to three double meanings in one phrase is one unlike most of the rappers in the game today. Another thing that I truly love about Bino’s work is that though on a track like this he might be egotistical and more about wordplay on another like “Flight of the Navigator” or “Letter Home” he is able to show his insane vulnerability. He truly is a rapper to look out for and I’m certain that his emmy nomination he received for “Because the Internet” will not be the last one he gets.

Attached is his performance at Last FM where he did this song, “All the Shine”, “Heartbeat”, and “Bonfire”. I know you were saying that the back track to this original song was not amazing but the musicianship in these videos is amazing. Especially the bassist named Thomas Drayton who is one of my main influences in terms of riffing on songs. Hope you enjoy this video which I consider to be one of Childish Gambino’s best live performances.

I’m glad we all know what a fine young man Daniel is, so you needn’t worry about how much he loves this artist. On our way back for lunch, Daniel performed the PG version of the lyrics for me. Yes, he has this song – and many more, I’m sure – memorized. So… what can I say? We had to see The Martian as soon as it opened, so Daniel could see his the “star” of the film. Those bass riffs are something else though πŸ™‚

5. Peg says:

I know I’m an old lady, but this is really not for me, sorry 😦 He is a good jumper though πŸ™‚

I agree with Daniel that Childish Gambino is a uniquely talented rapper and one of the best in the business. I especially like his album Camp, which explores that vulnerability and his personal identity issues with humor and smarts.

That said, I’m not a big fan of Because the Internet, which I found a lot more meandering and shallow than its predecessor.

Also, I love Donald Glover as an actor. Wish he’d never left Community!

7. Peg says:

Is he related to the older actor Danny Glover?

8. Peg says:

Daniel, I don’t know him as an actor but I’m sure he is very talented; also I agree that the bassist is also very good; thanks for sharing the video πŸ™‚