Song of the Day #2,369: ‘My Way Home’ – Kanye West (featuring Common)

kanyeHas anyone ever been as simultaneously laughed at, despised and revered as Kanye West?

He is often portrayed as a joke for his tremendous ego and outrageous statements, not to mention his marriage, and yet his last four albums have all topped critics’ lists and received praise so lavish it borderlines on absurd.

I enjoy some of Kanye’s music, though I would call even his best work over-praised. Hearing today’s track reminds me of what a great album his Late Registration is… every bit as good as the celebrated My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

Here he pairs a Common rap verse with a Gil Scott-Heron sample for a brief, soulful interlude.

[Common]
Yeah
They say home is where the hate is, my dome is where fate is
I stroll where souls get lost like Vegas
Seen through the eyes of rebel glasses
Pray to God that my arms reach the masses
The young smoke grass in grassless jungles
Rubber band together in cashless bundles
We wear strugglin chains, divided only hustle remains
Makin sense of it we hustle for change
Revolution ain’t a game it’s another name, for life fightin
Someone to stay in they corner like Mike Tyson
Hypes fightin for hits to heighten they hell
Don’t he know he could only get as high as he fell?
Show money becomes bail, relationships become jail
Children are unheld
I wish love was for sale, “Behold the Pale – Horse”
Got me trapped like R. Kel’, I bail and it –

[Outro- Gil Scott-Heron Sample]
“Might not be such a bad idea if I never… never went home again
I’m on my way home
I left three days ago, but no one seems to know I’m gone
Home is where the hatred is; home is filled with pain and it
Might not be such a bad idea if I never… never went home again”

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Song of the Day #2,369: ‘My Way Home’ – Kanye West (featuring Common)

i have no use for Kanye or his music.

That’s a bit extreme, isn’t it?

• Dana says:

Eh, maybe, but I have yet to hear anything from him that I find so compelling that it would overcome my feeling about his personality.

• Clay says:

I’m higher on his music than you are, but I find the personality thing interesting. Is it easier to separate the art from the artist in acting/directing/writing than in music?

• Dana says:

As I said, I’ve just never been all that impressed with his music. I’m not sure if, in the absence of his personality, I would have considered listening to him more, but when I add my general ambivalence to his music to my disdain for his personality and further add my annoyance at the critical praise lavished upon him, it becomes quite easy to spend my listening time elsewhere (and to simultaneously take the “moral” highground:))

I think you can if you really respect the work.