great_big_world_aguileraThe song sitting at #4 on this week’s Billboard Hot 100 is a perfect illustration of why I’m featuring this hit parade once per month.

Apparently ‘Say Something’ has caused quite a stir for months without managing to be heard by me even once.

The piano ballad was released twice before, once on a solo record by Ian Axel in 2011 and again by Axel’s indie band A Great Big World in 2013. But it wasn’t until Christina Aguilera performed the track with the band on The Voice that it took off.

They recorded this version and released it last November and it’s stayed high on the charts ever since.

The song is sad and perhaps a bit too simple, but it’s certainly effective. And Aguilera, who restrains herself from hitting her trademark big notes, does a lovely job in support.

[Chorus]
Say something, I’m giving up on you
I’ll be the one, if you want me to
Anywhere, I would’ve followed you
Say something, I’m giving up on you

[Verse 1]
And I am feeling so small
It was over my head
I know nothing at all
And I will stumble and fall
I’m still learning to love
Just starting to crawl

[Chorus 2]
Say something, I’m giving up on you
I’m sorry that I couldn’t get to you
Anywhere, I would’ve followed you
Say something, I’m giving up on you

[Verse 2]
And I will swallow my pride
You’re the one that I love
And I’m saying goodbye

[Chorus 3]
Say something, I’m giving up on you
And I’m sorry that I couldn’t get to you
And anywhere, I would have followed you
Oh… say something, I’m giving up on you

[Outro]
Say something, I’m giving up on you
Say something…

8 thoughts on “Song of the Day #2,050: ‘Say Something’ – A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera

Well, as I said earlier this week, this is definitely a song that needed to be on your “hits” radar. Such a powerful and hauntingly beautiful song. I had not seen the video before, but I find it interesting that they touched on the idea of a loved one passing away. While I had always assumed the song was mostly about a couple breaking up, the thought had always crossed my mind that it could also be about someone dying.

2. Maddie says:

I highly recommend the entire album that was recently released by A Great Big World. While I think that this song has lost some of its power by being played on the radio constantly, and I tend to like the version without Christina a little bit more, I am very happy to see this band getting radio play 🙂

• The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

Although I see your point about the song losing some of its power I am always happy when great songs like this get their due on the radio. I know that it sometimes is bad to hear a song excessively on the radio, but if I’m going to anyway I would like it to be a song that is good.

As for your comment on the version with Christina vs. the version without I have to disagree with you. I believe this song works very well with 2 people. I also think that Christina’s harmonies work very well throughout the song. The only problem that I have with that version is that Christina Aguilera is over-emotional while singing.

• Maddie says:

You are a radio guy, so that doesn’t surprise me 😛 I am very happy for the band, as I said, but there is something a bit strange about having this song pop up frequently alongside something like “Happy” by Pharrell (a song that is pretty much made for radio repetition) and having it met with an awkwardness that is not totally usual for a song that comes up on pop stations. So I think in this songs case (for me at least) radio is not doing it any favors. When I listen through the album, this is one of the only songs that I skip.

I don’t disagree that the song works well with 2 people, but I find Christina’s emotional voice to be artificial in some ways for me. She has to find some sort of on the emotional brink voice where his stays very pure and still shows the desperateness (a point you made, but you still like this version more). Perhaps this song as a duet with someone else- maybe a Taylor Swift type who conveys emotion in a way I find more genuine- would be something I liked more.

3. Andrea Katz says:

That was very moving and lovely. I had not heard before either.

I find this song to be hauntingly beautiful every time I hear it, despite the fact that I have heard it hundreds of times at this point. As Dana says, this one definitely needs to be on your radar (though I’m still confused whether it would qualify for a 2014 song according to your criteria). As Maddie points out, the whole album is quite wonderful. Definitely worth checking out.

Very touching song and video

6. The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

This really is a great song, though I find the video a bit odd. I don’t exactly get the relationship between the girl and the dog… Is it not supposed to make sense? Nevertheless, A Great Big World is one of my favorite groups right now. As Maddie says their album is one to definitely listen to.