Song of the Day #2,048: ‘Happy’ – Pharrell Williams

pharrell_williams_happyIn the #2 spot on Billboard’s Hot 100 this week is Pharell Williams’ ‘Happy,’ a song first released last summer on the soundtrack of Despicable Me 2.

Williams released the single in mid-December 2013 and it has climbed to the second spot on the charts and parked there.

I’ve seen Despicable Me 2 twice but I don’t recall this song (I’m guessing it played over the end credits).

It certainly lives up to its name. It’s infectiously jaunty, if a bit too repetitive. It’s the innocent flip side to the two smashes Williams contributed to last year — ‘Blurred Lines’ and ‘Get Lucky.’

[Verse 1]
It might seem crazy what I’m ’bout to say
Sunshine she’s here, you can take a break
I’m a hot air balloon that could go to space
With the air, like I don’t care baby by the way

[Hook]
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like that’s what you wanna do

[Verse 2]
Here come bad news talking this and that (Yeah!)
Well, give me all you got, don’t hold it back (Yeah!)
Well, I should probably warn you I’ll be just fine (Yeah!)
No offense to you don’t waste your time, here’s why…

[Hook]

[Bridge 2x]
Bring me down
Can’t nothing bring me down
My level’s too high to bring me down
Can’t nothing bring me down, I said…

[Hook + Bridge + Hook]

5 thoughts on “Song of the Day #2,048: ‘Happy’ – Pharrell Williams

Well, Daniel will be thrilled that you featured this song as it is one of his current “jams.”😄 I like it too, but agree it’s a bit too repetitive for my taste.

Meanwhile, on the way over to Sarasota we heard some of the Spider Harrison countdown on the Hits station and the Big World/Aguilera smash “Say Something” was now sitting at number 15. Not sure if it is ascending or descending from that spot, but the song needs to be on your radar for 2014 hits. It’s a great one.

It will make an appearance later this week. It’s technically a 2013 release, though it has gained in popularity this year. That seems to happen a lot.

Well, I think it was the infusion of Aguilera that skyrocketed the song. Both tracks are on the album.

I had never seen this video; it’s very cute. This song did, indeed, play over the end credits, and it’s catchy as can be. Meanwhile, so glad you’re featuring these songs each month as it will give us a chance to weigh in on some of our favorites (and not so favorites) and to expose some of your readers to songs they would otherwise ever know.

Daniel just pointed out that his favorite thing about this admittedly repetitive song is that it is acapella, something I hadn’t even considered before. That is pretty cool.

• The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

Amy, the whole thing isn’t acapella. Just the bridge part and I beleive some of the end. Please gets your facts straight.