Song of the Day #785: ‘Don’t Rain On My Parade’ – Lea Michele

Top Ten ‘Glee’ Performances
#7 – ‘Don’t Rain On My Parade’ – Rachel

This song is the closest I’ve come on the blog to a repeat. Back in June, guest blogger Amy featured a mashup of this version of the song interwoven with clips of performances by Idina Menzel and Barbra Streisand.

It was a great video that really highlighted the thread that connects those three women across three generations of impressive theatrical vocals. And one third of it was the exact song I’m featuring today.

But I won’t let a little technicality like that get in the way of featuring one of the most memorable performances of Glee‘s first season.

The glee club, New Directions, has been sabotaged by cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch, wildly deserving Emmy winner). Sue leaked their entire setlist to the competition at sectionals, and they’ve just watched those schools perform exact versions of their songs.

The club turns to Rachel, their star, to bail them out. Asked if she has any good ideas for an opening number, she responds “I do have something I’ve been working on since I was four.” And here it is.

Don’t tell me not to live, just sit and putter
Life’s candy and the sun’s a ball of butter
Don’t bring around a cloud to rain on my parade
Don’t tell me not to fly, I simply got to
If someone takes a spill, it’s me and not you
Who told you you’re allowed to rain on my parade
I’ll march my band out, I’ll beat my drum
And if I’m fanned out, your turn at bat, sir
At least I didn’t fake it, hat, sir
I guess I didn’t make it
But whether I’m the rose of sheer perfection
A freckle on the nose of life’s complexion
The Cinderella or the shine apple of its eye
I gotta fly once, I gotta try once,
Only can die once, right, sir?
Ooh, life is juicy, juicy and you see,
I gotta have my bite, sir.
Get ready for me love, ’cause I’m a “comer”
I simply gotta march, my heart’s a drummer
Don’t bring around the cloud to rain on my parade,

I’m gonna live and live NOW!
Get what I want, I know how!
One roll for the whole shebang!
One throw that bell will go clang,
Eye on the target and wham,
One shot, one gun shot and bam!
Hey, Mr. Arnstein, here I am …

I’ll march my band out, I will beat my drum,
And if I’m fanned out, your turn at bat, sir,
At least I didn’t fake it, hat, sir,
I guess I didn’t make it
Get ready for me love, ’cause I’m a “comer”
I simply gotta march, my heart’s a drummer
Nobody, no, nobody, is gonna rain on my parade!

9 thoughts on “Song of the Day #785: ‘Don’t Rain On My Parade’ – Lea Michele

The only thing missing from this scene was the sight of Rachel’s ecstatic and proud fathers (think Cameron and Mitchell 16 years from now) applauding wildly in the audience. I mean, come on! What self-respecting gay dads would miss their diva daughter perform at sectionals?!

Other than that, this was a perfect television moment. Perfect.

I wonder if they’ll ever have them on the show.

The girl can sing!

I’m sure they intend to feature them at some point. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if, once they’ve cast the perfect dads, they don’t go back and add them to some of those scenes where they should have been featured. I think they want to wait until they can give them a good story, and they are already having some trouble balancing so many cast members.

They did show them in a photograph in one of the early episodes, but I suppose that won’t prevent them from casting other actors when the time is right.

This was my favorite moment in the series!

7. Kerrie says:

Love it!! Not much to add that hasn’t been said. It was a goosebump inducing performance and was an absolutely perfect moment for Rachel.

I didn’t have a chance to respond to Dana’s comment from last week about how I suddenly have time to post even though I claim to be busy. It’s true, I’m busy right now, but the topic if your theme is such that I am willing to find a couple of minutes to take part. Normally, i still read the blog as often as I can and just don’t comment unless I feel strongly about something. I did post on one of the Shakira entries, but the rest of them I didn’t know too well (my interest in her music having weakened once she started crossing over to English and making cheesy stuff), so you can’t say I never post. I was busy then, too, but the one song/album I knew well, got me to post. 🙂

Anyway, I’m excited for what the week will bring on the countdown!! 🙂

Kerrie, no need to be defensive–I was just ribbing ya. Believe me, I’m incredibly busy as well, and yet Amy teases me all the time as to how I can possibly work and post on Clay’s blog (not to mention play Scrabble with Clay on FB):)

9. Kerrie says:

I wasn’t really being defensive (that’s why I put a smiley at the end – no tone = misinterpretation…). 🙂 I knew you were teasing about it but I thought it deserved a response. I may not have time for much extra these days, but I always find time to talk about Glee! 🙂