Song of the Day #740: ‘Shark in the Water’ – V.V. Brown

Here’s the second artist in my summer song series who was a complete mystery to me before now (the first was B.o.B.). I’m always surprised when I’m this unaware of a popular artist, even though I’m not the sort of cutting edge music fan who follows new acts religiously.

A quick Wikipedia search reveals that V.V. Brown is a 26-year-old English singer and songwriter recently signed to a major label. She has written songs for other artists under a different name and she has collaborated on a graphic novel with artist David Allain.

After listening to the song for the first time, I think this is probably my favorite tune of the week so far. I particularly like the verses, and Brown has a nice vocal style. The chorus is a bit frenzied, though it was working for me by the third time through. The song reminds me a bit of No Doubt crossed with Amy Winehouse.

And she’s cute… always a plus. Might be on to something here.

(Oh oh)
Sometimes I get my head in a dilly
Feeling so lost, ticking you off
Now boy, you know me well
Said, I’m that kind of filly
That kind of soft, that kind of silly
But when I’m in doubt, I open my mouth
And words come out, words come out like

Maybe there’s a shark in the water
There’s something underneath my leg
Oh, please believe I said
Maybe there’s a shark in the water
I caught them barking at the moon
Better be soon

High in the sky, the song that I’m singing
A sweet little lie, I cry wolf, cry
Rabbit in the hat, yes that’s why I’m bringing
Some tricks up my sleeve, for noticing me
I wouldn’t cause you any harm, I just want you in my arms
I can’t help, I can’t help myself

Maybe there’s a shark in the water
There’s something underneath my leg
Oh, please believe I said
Baby, there’s a shark in the water
I caught them barking at the moon
Better be soon

Right is right
Rules are rules
This is more like April fool
I’m just winding you up, oh
Jack be nimble, Jack be quick
Please don’t make too much of it
It ain’t that serious

Baby, there’s a shark in the water
There’s something underneath my bed
Oh, please believe I said
Baby, there’s a shark in the water
I caught them barking at the moon
You better get here soon
Baby, there’s a shark in the water
Baby, there’s a shark in the water
Baby, there’s a shark in the water
I caught them barking at the moon
Better be soon

6 thoughts on “Song of the Day #740: ‘Shark in the Water’ – V.V. Brown

I don’t think I’ve heard this one, though Daniel is singing it while it plays and Maddie says she has heard it, I guess I just missed it somehow.

Anyway, not a bad song. I actually find the chorus more appealing than the verse on first listen.

Favorite for the week, though? I find the Train song much more interesting and better. I think you are giving the nod to the cuteness factor of the girl here.

I think maybe you find the Train guy cute.

Is there going to be another week of these songs? I thought you said two weeks full… but just in case you don’t include Maddie’s favorite of the summer, I’ll share it now.

This song by The Script actually came out last year, but it is in heavy rotation this summer. Not sure what you’re considering the criteria for your selection.

Today’s song doesn’t sound particularly familiar, but I’ve heard the title before. I always immediately have Jimmy Buffet’s “fins to the left, fins to the right” chorus jump into my mind when I do. I’m not sure I hear the Amy Winehouse comparison, but this is a catchy enough summer tune.

I will be doing two weeks, but The Script didn’t turn up in my research so thanks for adding it. I like it a lot.

You really don’t hear the Amy Winehouse comparison? I found it almost distracting. A Google search reveals that just about every review of Brown’s album makes the connection (often giving the nod to Brown, which has me very curious about checking the album out).

Okay, I listened to it again, and I hear the Winehouse comparison. I guess VV Brown is Winehouse light (or happy), as I find a gravity to everything AW sings. My favorite of hers – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll7UFxqI2pM – I like much better than today’s SOTD, but if this artist is being referred to as even better than Winehouse, I’ll check out her album.

I featured that song back in December of 2008… it’s fabulous.