Song of the Day #640: ‘Please Don’t Leave Me’ – Pink

Yesterday’s post on Marah touched on a favorite topic of mine: the impact of expectations. But it was also a good illustration of another phenomenon I’ve encountered over my years of music listening: the second impression.

Sometimes an album just doesn’t hit me during my first listen, or even my first few listens, but weeks, months or even years later I’ll pick it up again and find that it really gets to me.

One of the best examples is Lucinda Williams’ Car Wheels on a Gravel Road, which went from a shoulder-shrugger to one of my all-time favorite albums after a long break.

I suspect that in cases like this, the difference has more to do with me than with the music. I mean, obviously the music doesn’t change… the CD is literally the same collection of bits and bytes producing the exact sounds it produced on the last spin. So what changes take place in the bits and bytes of my brain?

Pink’s album Funhouse is another recent example of an album that made a good second impression. In this case, though, I suspect I just didn’t give it enough of a chance the first time through. When I played it again the other day, inspired by her human sprinkler routine at the Grammys, I found myself enjoying each and every track.

I always like when this happens because it’s akin to discovering new music without spending a dime.

Can you think of any artists or albums who made a great second impression on you?

I don’t know if I can yell any louder
How many time have I kicked you outta here?
Or said something insulting?
da da da da-da
I can be so mean when I wanna be
I am capable of really anything
I can cut you into pieces
When my heart is….broken

Da da da-da da
Please don’t leave me
Please don’t leave me
I always say how I don’t need you
But it’s always gonna come right back to this
Please, don’t leave me

How did I become so obnoxious?
What is it with you that makes me act like this?
I’ve never been this nasty
Can’t you tell that this is all just a contest?
The one that wins will be the one that hits the hardest
But baby I don’t mean it
I mean it, I promise

Da da da-da da
Please don’t leave me
Da da da-da da
Please don’t leave me
Da da da-da da
I always say how I don’t need you
But it’s always gonna come right back to this
Please, don’t leave me
I forgot to say out loud how beautiful you really are to me
I can’t be without, you’re my perfect little punching bag
And I need you, I’m sorry.

Da da da da, da da da da
da da da da-da da
Please, please don’t leave me

Baby please don’t leave me
No, don’t leave me
Please don’t leave me no no no
You say I don’t need you but it’s always gonna come right back,
It’s gonna come right back to this.
Please, don’t leave me.
No, don’t leave me
Please don’t leave me, oh no no no.
I always say how I don’t need you
But it’s always gonna come right back to this

Please don’t leave me
Please don’t leave me

8 thoughts on “Song of the Day #640: ‘Please Don’t Leave Me’ – Pink

I think this happens with books all the time. I’ve often told my students that they should consider revisiting favorite books at different times of their lives, or picking up again a book that just didn’t hook them the first time around.

For instance, I have no memory of reading To Kill a Mockingbird when I was a student, though I can’t imagine it wasn’t assigned at some point during my school career. When I read it for the “first” time several years ago, I was overwhelmed. It instantly became a favorite, and I’m sure it was because I was empathizing with Atticus just as much as I was empathizing with Scout.

As for music… nothing is immediately coming to mind for some of the reasons I mentioned yesterday. I’m not so quick to pick up an album a second time if I haven’t blamed myself from the first moment it didn’t wow me. Oh… I know… Counting Crows and Saturday Nights/Sunday Mornings (or whatever the title is). On first listen, I skipped most of the Sat. night songs after giving them 3–45 seconds not to grate on me, and decided that there was one great song on the album (can you guess which one? 😉 Then, as we listened to it later (because I needed to vote in a contest, I believe), I found most of the songs far better than I had originally considered them.

What’s odd about that example is it should have fallen into the first category. I love Counting Crows, so I should have assumed I was wrong and had faith it would grow on me. Of course, then my other music listening truism kicks in…. I have a couple of albums I adore by this band; why did I need another?

I had never seen the video for this song before….rather disturbing.

Anyway, as to the question you posed, I’m not sure that I’ve had that second impression experience an awful lot. Perhaps it’s my general reluctance to give things a second chance. When I do, I usually just reconfirm in my mind why I didn’t care for it the first time. Let me ponder this a bit further, though, as there must be some instances where I have changed my mind:)

I will admit that Pink is someone I initially discounted, not because I had heard many of her songs, but mostly because she seemed to me to be another one named artist being pushed by the industry. But then a song like this would come on the radio, and I would find myself digging it and would then hit the info button to find that it was Pink. There are also some songs on other artists’ albums that I have enjoyed only to find that Pink had written or co-written them. So, whatever my first limited impression was of Pink, I must now concede that she is a decent songwriter and a provocative performer.

3. Kerrie says:

I have liked this song since the first time I heard it, but watching the video may have ruined it for me. It was a creepier, more disturbing version of “Misery.” Wow! I have to say I’m sorry I put myself through that….

I can’t think of any musical artists or albums I’ve changed my mind about on second listen; like Dana, if I don’t like them the first time, I rarely go back again. I can, however, think of one example from film where it was only on the second (and then third, fourth, fifth, etc.) viewing that I not only fully appreciated the movie but really loved it. The film in question…”Raising Arizona.” 🙂

In fact, now that I think about it, I think I have even grown to appreciate it more over time as I have come to better understand the genius of the Coen brothers through their other films. Imagine if I had never given the Coen brothers a second chance???? What a dull world it would be. 🙂

I do have this happen with movies quite a bit, usually movies by filmmakers I already like. The Coen Brothers are a great example of directors whose movies I need to see more than once to really get.

Re: Amy’s Counting Crows song, I’m gonna go with ‘When I Dream of Michelangelo.’

Okay… no takers? Here you go. How gorgeous is that?!!

Just got it in under the wire!

Well, guess there was a taker after all… and an astute one at that. Congratulations, Clay; you win the small prize 😛