Song of the Day #194: ‘This Time Tomorrow’ – The Kinks

kinksSo I’m looking up the lyrics to today’s song, The Kinks’ ‘This Time Tomorrow,’ on songmeanings.net, one of my favorite sites for such things. The site invites readers to post interpretations of the lyrics and often the comments are quite astute.

And right at the top of the ‘This Time Tomorrow’ thread is the following comment from a person calling himself Jason Bourne:

i bet a bunch of n00bs will comment on this once Darjeeling Limited comes out.

Bite me, Jason Bourne.

I am indeed such a n00b, having never encountered this song (to my knowledge) before hearing it used in Anderson’s 2007 film. The movie, though solid, was Anderson’s weakest effort to date but as in all of his films the use of music is spot-on.

He uses several Kinks songs in this film and their inclusion led me to buy the Lola vs. the Powerman album that features two of them (including this one). Just as I purchased The Rolling Stones’ Aftermath and Between the Buttons after discovering songs featured in Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums.

Jason Bourne’s snide comment exhibits an ugly sort of elitism, the kind that says there is a right way and a wrong way to discover new music. I might be an elitist in some ways but definitely not in that way. I love discovering music through movies and TV shows, magazine articles and Amazon’s “If you like this…” suggestions. You name it.

There is no wrong way to fall for a song.

This time tomorrow, where will we be?
On a spaceship somewhere, sailing across an empty sea
This time tomorrow what will we know?
Will we still be here watching an in-flight movie show?

I’ll leave the sun behind me
And I watch the clouds as they sadly pass me by
Seven miles below me
I can see the world and it ain’t so big at all

This time tomorrow, what will we see?
Fields full of houses, endless rows of crowded streets
I don’t know where I’m going, I don’t want to see
I feel the world below me looking up at me

Leave the sun behind me
And watch the clouds as they sadly pass me by
And I’m in perpetual motion
And the world below doesn’t matter much to me

This time tomorrow, where will we be?
On a spaceship somewhere, sailing across any empty sea
This time tomorrow, this time tomorrow

10 thoughts on “Song of the Day #194: ‘This Time Tomorrow’ – The Kinks

I didn’t expect that sound to come out of my little laptop speakers. I know next to nothing about The Kinks, but that didn’t stop me from having an expectation that their music would have a harder edge. This is more like The Birds than The Who. Which perhaps is typical of this group.

How crazy will it make Jason Bourne that I learned about music he adores from a blogger who discovered it in a movie?! mwwwhahhhhahahahahahahaa…..
    I think Bourne’s comment suggests a kind of elitism, certainly, but also that protective feeling people get over the things they love, that desire to keep them special. This is “my” music/movie/tv show, etc. Now that works less with a group as old as this one, when Bourne should expect that their music will be used in all sorts of ways, but applies especially to new music. If you’ve done the work (or had the luck) to be on the “cutting edge” of discovering a new band, there seems to be a desire to keep it to yourself. When one of my students reviewed Vampire Weekend’s new album over a year ago, another student came up to him after it was published and yelled at him for giving away their secret. Maybe Jason Bourne is crazy like that?

I’d think it would bother him less that the discovery came through a Wes Anderson movie, likely seen by about 326 people, than some Jerry Bruckheimer production meant to sell millions of tickets. Shouldn’t he be pleased that only the elite filmgoers would get the opportunity to jump on his elite Kinks bandwagon? 😉

This sound is very typical of The Kinks. As Dana pointed out a couple of times during Belle & Sebastian week, the two groups have a similar sound.

I don’t really get the protective feeling, either… when I like a band, I want everybody to discover them, both for the band’s sake and for everybody’s.

4. Jason Bourne says:

Oh, I’m sorry. Are you a noob? I didn’t realize….Present company excepted, of course:)

The Kinks is one of those bands where I know just a bit of their music, but, every time I hear them, I feel like I should be checking them out more often. I remember really loving one of their later hits, Come Dancing, back when MTV played videos.

And I agree with you that discovery of new music through any outlet is a wonderful thing, and I particularly enjoy that discovery when a great song is well placed in a movie.

When did MTV stop playing videos? Just curious. 😛

I think around 1995.

They play plenty of videos online, but I challenge you to see one on the actual TV station.

I saw an article the other day saying music video directors are rethinking how they conceive and shoot videos knowing they are seen primarily in YouTube size screens now.

Amy, ask Maddie or Daniel to sing you the lyrics of 1985….

Bruce Springsteen, Madonna
    Way before Nirvana
    There was U2 and Blondie
    And music still on MTV
    Her two kids in high school
    They tell her that she’s uncool
    Cuz she’s still preoccupied