Song of the Day #32: ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ – Zooey Deschanel & Will Ferrell

I mentioned this scene in my recent review of She & Him’s debut album, Volume One. It’s the moment I first learned that Zooey Deschanel has a wonderful singing voice. It’s also a very sweet scene in a very sweet film.

Elf is one of the only things I’ve seen Will Ferrell in that I’ve halfway enjoyed. Here, his overgrown man-child act makes sense, because he’s playing a man who was raised as an elf by Santa Claus. Now that’s funny. And Jon Favreau does a nice directing job, proving his ability to turn out a high-concept crowd pleaser years before Iron Man graced our screens.

This is a nice scene where Ferrell feels a connection to fellow department store elf Deschanel that cuts through his loneliness. It also sets up the film’s climax, where Deschanel once again breaks into song and in doing do saves Christmas.

10 thoughts on “Song of the Day #32: ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ – Zooey Deschanel & Will Ferrell

Ditto (about Will and Zoey and Jon). This also happens to be one of my favorite Christmas songs, so I approve on the “song of the day” front as well 🙂 Still, I have to admit I’m a bit surprised to see a scene from Elf make the cut on day two, when we still haven’t seen Goodfellas, any of Quentin Tarantino’s films, When Harry Met Sally, Moonstruck, or any of another dozen I would have guessed you’d be featuring this week. You never cease to amaze, kiddo.

Just trying to mix things up. But also, none of the films you mention fit the criteria I’ve set up for this week’s selections. The music must come from within the scene, while all of those make use of music on the soundtrack.

This is when you first learned that Zooey Deschanel?Geez, where the hell have you been, man? I’ve been loving her voice since her stand out role in Mumford! Disappointed that you are so behind the curve on this A lister!

Oh, and where are the accolades for Farrell’s voice? He certainly hold his own in that scene!

I think “Stuck in the Middle with You” satisfies the criteria you have created for this week’s theme, as does the aria in Moonstruck and “Surrey with the Fringe on Top” in When Harry Met Sally. Give me a little credit 🙂

I know I threw things off by breaking both my rules with the kick-off video yesterday, but for the rest of the week I’m restricting myself to songs that are a) sung by the character(s) in the scene and b) performed in their entirety.

So ‘Stuck in the Middle with You’ and ‘Che Gelida Manina’ break both rules. ‘Surrey with the Fringe on Top’ is in the spirit of what I’m going for here, but it didn’t occur to me.

You are also likely at a disadvantage because you basically don’t like musicals, and those are the films that satisfy your rules!

True, though a couple of the upcoming songs are from musicals.

Lemme guess, Disney animated musicals?

No sir… but that’s a good idea for a future theme week. 🙂

Moulin Rouge?! Yippee! And Once?!! You’re going to feature Once?! Perhaps my birthday gifts continue?

🙂