Song of the Day #16: ‘Be Mine’ – Robyn

This has been a great year for new music — especially new music by women. As I write this, five of my top ten 2008 CD’s are by women and most of those are first or second albums.

Years ago I was accused of not listening to many female artists. I had some old standbys by Carole King and Carly Simon that had mostly been inherited from my parents plus a Tracy Chapman or two, but otherwise my collection was distinctly lacking in estrogen.

Somewhere along the line I picked up the pace. I don’t know if it was deliberate on my part, or if I was just spending more time looking for new music. Over the years, I became a big fan of established artsits such as Aimee Mann, Shelby Lynne, Dusty Springfield, Lucinda Williams, Sheryl Crow, Dar Williams, k.d. lang, Liz Phair, Sarah McLachlan… the list goes on.

Lately it seems like more female artists are breaking through than ever before. Just in the past few years I’ve discovered Tift Merritt, Lily Allen, Amy Winehouse, Santogold, M.I.A., Duffy, Neko Case, Rachael Yamagata… and again, the list goes on.

Robyn is a recent find. She’s a Swedish singer/songwriter who made a splash a decade ago (in Sweden) with some dance hits but then fell off the radar. After fighting with labels, she reemerged a couple years ago with a new album of original material that kicks a whole lot of ass.

It’s a smart pop album full of infectious beats and melodies and some provocative lyrics. There’s a touch of hip hop, a little electronica, a dash of Prince and a whole lot of Cyndi Lauper. This song , ‘Be Mine,’ sounds like Lauper could have recorded it in the 80s.

9 thoughts on “Song of the Day #16: ‘Be Mine’ – Robyn

Okay, Clay, you’ve proven that you like the chick artists. So stop subjecting us guys to it already!:) This song does nada for me. It sounds like the most vapid of Lauper’s early stuff, with some Euro thrown in. More interesting than your discovery of women artist is your apparent love for fairly trivial pop songs (see Hanson, Madonna, and whoever this woman is)

First, I reject (and denounce) your suggestion that I like Madonna. I most certainly do not!

I generally dislike, or at least avoid, that sort of pop artist… Mariah Carey, Nelly Furtado, Britney Spears, etc. This album is a far cry from that sort of thing (even if the song I chose is a more mainstream). It has more in common with Prince than Madonna.

Okay, first of all, I recall you enjoying some Madonna a few years ago (I believe it was Alex’s CDs, but still) Second, I think there is a big difference between Madonna and Mariah or Spears. And I think you do tend to gravitate toward some of that more “thinking man’s” pop stuff. And I’m not criticizing you for it. It just isn’t a sound I care for as much.

Alex does have a Madonna greatest hits CD, but I want nothing to do with it. 🙂 And I disagree that there’s a big difference between Madonna and those others, which perhaps means you are the big Madonna fan here!

I know it’s not a criticism, and I freely admit to liking plenty of mindless pop songs.

What’s wrong with Madonna?!

The woman makes me sick, even moreso in the past ten years.

Not that I feel like defending Madonna, but her work over her career has been more inventive and original than the likes of Carey or Spears.

Oh, and Alex, will you please “out” Clay’s appreciation for that Madonna’s greatest hits album?

One of my problems with Madonna (and a lot of pop singers) is that “her” work is 99% written by somebody else. She has a talent for packaging herself and picking songwriters/producers who can support the packaging, but that’s not what I call art.