Song of the Day #5: ‘This Will Be Our Year’ – The Zombies

My definition of hip, musically speaking, is a bit backward — literally. I find it far cooler to have a knowledge and appreciation of music from before your time than the stuff being released tomorrow. Like my super cool niece, who is 12 years old but worships The Beatles. That’s hip.

I’ve always considered myself rather hip in that sense. In my teens (this was the late 80s), I bought and devoured every Bob Dylan album, then tackled the whole Beatles catalog. I was into Led Zeppelin and The Who and (especially) Pink Floyd. I had a passing knowledge of The Rolling Stones and The Beach Boys. I wasn’t Robert Christgau, but I was pretty hip.

So I was quite surprised when I recently stumbled upon ‘This Will Be Our Year,’ a wonderful tune off The Zombies classic 1968 album Odessey and Oracle (the misspelling is theirs). Now, I throw around a phrase like “The Zombies classic 1968 album Odessey and Oracle” as if I had ever heard of this album prior to three months ago… which isn’t the case.

Sure, I had heard the album’s most famous song, ‘Time of the Season’ (you know the one… “what’s your name, who’s your daddy, is he rich like me?”). But I couldn’t have told you who sang it, or that the band had released an album considered a true classic.

I can’t really remember how or why I discovered this album, but I picked it up on Amazon a few months ago. It’s all very good, but the song that instantly jumped out at me is ‘This Will Be Our Year’ — a 2-minute slice of of jangly, bittersweet perfection.

Built around a series of bouyant piano chords, some drums and a well-placed blast of horns, it’s a beautiful little love song about a couple that has weathered hard times but carried each other through. It’s sort of a peppier ‘In My Life,’ which is high praise indeed.

The warmth of your love is like the warmth from the sun
And this will be our year, took a long time to come

Don’t let go of my hand, now darkness has gone
And this will be our year, took a long time to come

And I won’t forget the way you held me up when I was down
And I won’t forget the way you said, “Darling I love you”
You gave me faith to go on

Now we’re there and we’ve only just begun
This will be our year, took a long time to come

I guarantee this song will put a smile on your face.

7 thoughts on “Song of the Day #5: ‘This Will Be Our Year’ – The Zombies

1. mom says:

You’re right, I have a smile on my face.

My definition of hip, musically speaking, is whatever I’m not listening to. I figure once I’ve embraced Elvis Costello, Lyle Lovett, Amy Winehouse, or whichever musical artist has broken into my relatively small circle of “regulars,” they have officially lost any hip vibe they may have thus far claimed.

I, of course, have always loved “Time of the Season,” though I had no idea it was performed by a group called The Zombies until Blake Lewis performed in on last season’s American Idol (I’ve convinced you, haven’t I? Musically hip people don’t watch American Idol, do they? Let alone download song covers by AI contestants to play on their iPods. Let alone have tickets to see this season’s crew in concert) Still, as much as I love that song, I somehow never had an urge to seek out the album from which it came. So thanks, Clay, for sharing this cheerful tune. I don’t think it has nearly the resonance of “Time of the Season,” but it’s certainly pleasant to listen to. As for the smile on my face, that is there from reading you refer to your niece (aka my daughter) as “super cool.” If I can’t be hip on my own, at least I can share some hip credit by being the mother and sister of musically hip people. πŸ™‚

3. Kerrie says:

If only all guarantees were as easy to support. And if only they still wrote ’em like this. I guess some of them still do, and that’s why I’m enjoying your song of the day blogs. πŸ™‚
    Thanks for the “good cheer.”

Kerrie, it’s all well and good that you appreciate Clay’s “song of the day” blogs, but don’t you want to convince me that I’m hip? πŸ™‚

5. Kerrie says:

Amy, I don’t really think you need convinving about this. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, and we’ve already acknowledged that your daughter is “super cool.” Really, where do you think she gets it? Uh oh, Dana’s going to be mad at me… πŸ™‚

Clay will be happy if you lure Dana into the discussion πŸ˜‰ Thanks for responding to my fishing, by the way.

Greetings from the Hip-ster!

I’ll leave my “hip” cred assessment to others, but, seriously, deep down I know that I ain’t really hip and doubt I ever was. I think my “hip” status was officially revoked in 1982 when I attended junior high wearing brown cordoroy jeans and a blue velor shirt while talking about how great Billy Joel’s Innocent Man was. Not sure if I’ve gotten more hip since then:) Ironically, while Maddie is hip for loving the Beatles, I have somehow become a public embarassment to her for knowing the lyrics to songs by Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers:)

But I digress…as for Clay’s song pick…a nice one, and kinda neat how, when listened to in the 21st century, it captures a 60’s cliche sound (a bit Herman’s Hermits, Monkeys, etc) while still having enough originality to weather the decades better than more sterotypical 60’s fare.