Song of the Day #3,752: ‘Stacy’s Mom’ – Fountains of Wayne

My final one-hit wonder is a painful choice. I adore so much of Fountains of Wayne’s music that I hate to think of them being relegated to the dustbin of history, remembered for their only hit song, ‘Stacy’s Mom.’

And here’s the real kick in the pants: ‘Stacy’s Mom’ wasn’t even that big of a hit. It peaked at #21 on the Billboard Hot 100 and reached #3 on the Pop chart. Nothing else the band released ever came close to chart success.

So the question for Fountains of Wayne isn’t whether they’ll be remembered as a one-hit wonder 20 years from now. It’s whether they’ll be remembered at all.

I think ‘Stacy’s Mom’ has enough power pop appeal and a clever enough premise to break through and get some future airplay. But how sad that the dozens of even better songs the band released won’t be heard.

[Intro]
Stacy’s mom has got it going on
Stacy’s mom has got it going on
Stacy’s mom has got it going on
Stacy’s mom has got it going on

[Verse 1]
Stacy, can I come over after school? (After school)
We can hang around by the pool (Hang by the pool)
Did your mom get back from her business trip? (Business trip)
Is she there, or is she trying to give me the slip? (Give me the slip)

[Pre-Chorus 1]
You know, I’m not the little boy that I used to be
I’m all grown up now, baby, can’t you see?

[Chorus]
Stacy’s mom has got it going on
She’s all I want and I’ve waited for so long
Stacy, can’t you see? You’re just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong, but I’m in love with Stacy’s mom
Stacy’s mom has got it going on
Stacy’s mom has got it going on

[Verse 2]
Stacy, do you remember when I mowed your lawn? (Mowed your lawn)
Your mom came out with just a towel on (Towel on)
I could tell she liked me from the way she stared (Way she stared)
And the way she said, “You missed a spot over there” (Spot over there)

[Pre-Chorus 2]
And I know that you think it’s just a fantasy
But since your dad walked out, your mom could use a guy like me

[Chorus]
Stacy’s mom has got it going on
She’s all I want and I’ve waited for so long
Stacy, can’t you see? You’re just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong, but I’m in love with Stacy’s mom

[Guitar Solo]

[Chorus]
Stacy’s mom has got it going on
She’s all I want and I’ve waited for so long
Stacy, can’t you see? You’re just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong, but I’m in love with Stacy’s mom

[Outro]
Stacy’s mom, ah-oh-ah-oh (I’m in love with-)
Stacy’s mom, ah-oh-ah-oh (Wait a minute)
Stacy, can’t you see? You’re just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong but, I’m in love with Stacy’s mom

14 thoughts on “Song of the Day #3,752: ‘Stacy’s Mom’ – Fountains of Wayne

I don’t consider this song to be a giant enough hit to satisfy your initial criteria. And the band has an avid fan base and releases music that is loved, listened to and enjoyed live by those fans. It’s almost as crazy as nominating Lyle Lovett for this category because “ If I Had a Boat” got a smidge more air play than the majority of his catalogue. Nope, I’ll have to disagree with this pick, too. There are others I thought you’d go after that I would have had a hard time defending, but this isn’t one of them.

• Clay says:

You could say the same about every one hit wonder ever (avid fan base, music listened to and enjoyed by those fans). The question is whether anybody outside of that small fan base knows their music beyond a single song. Lyle Lovett has had a decades-long career that includes collaborations with other respected musicians. FOW has made their mark, and that mark is tiny. In 20 years, will you hear them on the radio? I doubt it, unless you’re hearing ‘Stacy’s Mom.’

2. Dana Gallup says:

I’m with Amy on this one. “Stacy’s Mom” was not a big enough hit, and the band did not fade into enough obscurity (like Aha) for the band to qualify for “one hit wonder” status.

By your definition, Ben Folds Five with “Brick” as their only modest “hit” or Fiona Apple with “Criminal” as her only modest “hit” would be deemed one hit wonders. The quality of their overall catalogue and steady, if not huge, fan base, which allows them to tour for decades and fill modest venues, differentiates them.

True one hit wonders, years or decades later, are lucky to be invited as an opening act at the Osceola County Youth Fair, where people will listen because they paid for admission and want a place to sit and eat their corn dog. I don’t think FOW is in that category of artists, and, as Maddie would argue, neither is Hozier or Gotye, though, at least with them, you had a better argument of a truly mega-hit.

• Clay says:

But that’s exactly my point. Would people have said the same thing about Naked Eyes, Golden Earring or A-Ha back in the day? That they would be able to tour for decades, filling modest venues, etc? I’m sure they had passionate followers.

Fountains of Wayne has effectively split up. They won’t be touring or releasing new material. Ben Folds and Fiona Apple have had very long, critically-acclaimed careers with solid followings… they haven’t faded the way a one-hit wonder fades. FOW will fade.

3. Dana Gallup says:

Well, if they have split up, and don’t reunites BFF did, then, obviously, they won’t be playing and recording anything at all, let alone critically acclaimed work, but that just underscores our point that true one hit wonders by definition must (a) have a true mega hit and (b) must toil in obscurity for the rest of their lives – not have lives cut short by either dying or, in the case of a band, breaking up.

• Clay says:

I don’t think it’s necessary for a one-hit wonder to toil on in obscurity. I think they just need a big enough hit to be played for decades to come but nothing else that rises to the attention of non-fans.

• Dana Gallup says:

I disagree. What makes an artist a one hit WONDER as opposed to an artist who just happened to have one big hit song is that the artist continues to record and put out songs in the hope of having another hit, but it doesn’t happen. In other words, the artist only has one hit in him, her or them.

Arguably some artists like Lyle Lovett, Fiona Apple and Ben Folds, Randy Newman seem to steer their careers in a direction where they really don’t want another hit, usually creating major rifts with the record company, but that is not the case with Aha or Walk the Moon to my knowledge.

• Clay says:

Would you describe Toni Basil as a one-hit wonder? She is known only for ‘Mickey,’ which was indeed a big hit. But she didn’t continue to record… she had two albums in the early 80s and never released another.

I think ‘Mickey’ is without question a one-hit wonder, and it doesn’t matter what Basil did or didn’t do after it came out.

Whether you toil in obscurity or hang up your guitar after one album, as long as you have that one hit and no other hits, you’re a one-hit wonder.

• Dana Gallup says:

If Toni Basil recorded at least one other album after “Mickey” and it went nowhere, she is absolutely a one hit wonder because she couldn’t create the miracle of another hit despite trying and likely hung it up or got dropped after that. If, on the hand, an artist never recorded again after the one hit or album or the band broke up or the artist purposely went in a different direction and wasn’t trying to have another hit, then the one hit wonder label doesn’t apply, particularly where. As in the case of FOW, the hit wasn’t event really that huge of a hit.

• Clay says:

I don’t see the distinction here. Are you suggesting that if Toni Basil stopped recording after her second album because she purposely went in another direction, then ‘Mickey’ ceases to be a one-hit wonder?

I don’t see why the intentions of the artist matter at all.

• Amy says:

Thank God Toni Basil was a one hit wonder, as the world could not take another “Mickey.” Meanwhile, I’m quite amused to picture the shade seeking corn dog eating fair goers who happen upon Walk the Moon at the county fair.

4. The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

“Welcome Interstate Managers” is in my top 3 favorite albums of all time. That being said, Fountains of Wayne is 100% a one hit wonder. They’ve never had a hit since then that has achieved even moderate success and as you previously stated, they are broken up now. I do think it’s an interesting point Amy makes about if a hit is not even that high up and solely achieves a niche following with an outlier in a #20 single that they shouldn’t be deemed a one hit wonder. However, I think if a single reaches this high and there is never a follow up anywhere close that it is an allowed title to give. If the single reaches much lower and that is just a result of a band’s cult following than they should be considered an indie band and not given the unfortunate title.

To respond to Dana’s point, I don’t think it’s true that just because an artist has a huge hit and then maintains a steady, avid following but never obtains another huge hit that they avoid this title. Counting Crows had their biggest hit with “Mr. Jones” and admittedly had moderate success with some follow up singles but never achieved that high a rating again. I would be okay with calling them a one hit wonder even though they’re literally my favorite band. Just because a band engenders a huge following but only has one huge hit doesn’t mean they escape this title with a negative connotation but not necessarily reflective of the band’s discography.

Another point as to “Stacy’s Mom” relevancy in the future, I can speak from personal experience and say that I’ve had many kids who I would never expect to know this song come up to me and start singing it. I think it’s because of its wild premise (perhaps one that particularly resonates with teenage boys) that it will endure. Whenever I try and enlighten my peers that that song is on an incredible album, they never seem too interested. However, the point still stands that they’ll probably continue to sing and share this song with their peers in college as well as maybe even their kids prefaced by “We had this crazy song back in my day”. Not really their day, but you get my point.

5. Dana Gallup says:

I’m not saying the one hit wonder designation depends solely on the artist’s post-hit intentions, but I think there needs to be an element of post-hit obscurity, which is why I would not call Counting Crows a one hit wonder, and the one hit really needs to be a BIG hit.

• Clay says:

I agree with you on Counting Crows. I think they’ve had enough of a profile over the years (on film soundtracks, for example) to not be widely remembered only for ‘Mr. Jones.’