Song of the Day #3,157: ‘Wait For Me’ – Tift Merritt

tift_stitch_worldToday wraps up my track-by-track look at Tift Merritt’s latest album, Stitch of the World. I hope it was less taxing for some readers than last year’s Lucinda Williams deep dive.

The album closes with a third song featuring Sam Beam on backing vocals, and as in the other two, his contribution is sublime.

‘Wait For Me’ strikes the same tone of hopeful melancholy that permeates this album. Regular readers of this blog know that tone is right up my alley.

Whenever I hear a new album by a favorite artist, the list-maker in me starts thinking about where it ranks alongside the rest of her discography. Ranking Merritt’s work is particularly tough because all of her albums are strong in similar ways.

I definitely need a little more time with this one before I can truly assess it alongside its siblings, but right now, gun to my head, I would rank her studio albums like this:

1. See You On the Moon
2. Tambourine
3. Stitch of the World
4. Traveling Alone
5. Another Country
6. Bramble Rose

But, as I said the other day, there isn’t a bad song on any one of them.

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Song of the Day #3,157: ‘Wait For Me’ – Tift Merritt

1. Peter says:

Thanks a lot for the extensive appreciation of this album, it was a great pleasure to think about it in detail. Unfortunately you don’t own the deluxe edition with “Day He Died” and marvelous acoustic versions of “Something…” and “Stitch…” on it so that the analysis ends a bit abruptly. But the heck with it, the main thing is that I own it, with personal dedication ๐Ÿ˜œ
    I’m not sure if “Greenwood Cemetery” is still available as a free download on Noisetrade, but if so – pick it up, I bet you’ll like it!

Uh oh! Looks like Peter just won the Merritt Fan Appreciation Award by owning a personally dedicated deluxe edition of the album! You can one up him, however, by having Tift do a concert in your living room.๐Ÿ˜„

• Peter says:

Hell yeah, I would be jealous then!
      Just for the record: it’s not my first Merritt Fan Award, it’s the fifth๐Ÿ˜ Ok, I know that it is slightly stupid to collect suchlike “trophies”, but nevertheless they bring back memories of wonderful concerts and nice encounters.

• Clay says:

I totally agree. I was able to meet her and get signed copies of Bramble Rose and Traveling Alone after the two concerts I saw. I don’t think I’ve had that luck with any other performer.

In fact I DO have the deluxe edition, but alas it is not personally dedicated. Perhaps I’ll feature the three bonus tracks in the future. Thanks for reading!

4. Peter says:

Postscript: I met a lot of songwriters after concerts. It is always a pleasure to say “thank you so much” when it is heartfelt. Caitlin Canty, Kelley McRae, Kinky Friedman, Lynne Hanson, Buick 6, Mary Gauthier, Rennie Sparks, Jolie Holland… So many goddamn good songwriters are underway!