Song of the Day #2,507: ‘Hey Mama’ – David Guetta feat. Nicki Minaj & Afrojack

david_guetta_nicki_minajIn Billboard’s ninth spot is Ed Sheeran with ‘Thinking Out Loud,’ the only ballad in the top ten. Good song.

Rounding out the top ten is David Guetta with ‘Hey Mama,’ featuring Nicki Minaj. This is basically a Nicki Minaj song in the same way ‘Uptown Funk’ is a Bruno Mars song, but the DJs get top billing because the songs appear on their albums. It’s all about the singles these days, anyway.

This is the best Minaj track I’ve heard since ‘Super Bass.’ As on that track, this song highlights her ability to both rap and sing a kickass pop chorus. She’s a freak, but a talented one.

[Intro: Alan Lomax]
Be my woman, girl
I’ll be your man
Be my woman, girl
I’ll be your man

[Verse 1: Nicki Minaj]
Yes, I’ll be your woman, yes, I’ll be your baby
Yes, I’ll be whatever that you tell me when you’re ready
Yes, I’ll be your girl, forever your lady
You ain’t ever gotta worry, I’m down for you baby

[Pre-Chorus: Nicki Minaj]
Best believe that, when you need that
I’ll provide that, you will always have it
I’ll be on deck, keep it in check
When you need that, I’mma let you have it

[Chorus: Nicki Minaj & Bebe Rexha]
Beating my drum like, dum di di day
I like the dirty rhythm you play
I wanna hear you calling my name
Like, hey mama, mama, hey mama, ma
Banging the drum like, dum di di day
I know you want it in the worst way
I wanna hear you calling my name
Like, hey mama, mama, hey mama, ma

[Post-Chorus: Alan Lomax]
Be my woman, girl
I’ll be your man
Be my woman, girl
I’ll be your man

[Verse 2: Nicki Minaj]
Yes I’ll do the cooking, yes I’ll do the cleaning
Plus I keep the na-na real sweet, for your eating
Yes you be the boss, and yes I be respecting
Whatever that you tell me, cause it’s game you be spitting

[Pre-Chorus]

[Chorus]

[Post-Chorus]

[Verse 3: Nicki Minaj]
Whole crew got the juice, yo dick game the truth
My screams is the proof, them other dudes get the deuce
When I speed in the coupe, leaving this interview
It ain’t nothin’ new, I been fuckin’ with you
None of them bitches ain’t taking you, just tell them to make a U
Huh, that how it be, I come first like debuts, huh
So baby when you need that, give me that word
I’m no good, I’ll be bad for my baby

[Bridge: Nicki Minaj]
So I make sure that he’s getting his share
So I make sure that his baby take care
So I make sure I’m on my toes, on my knees
Keep him pleased, rub him down, be a lady and a freak, oh

[Chorus]

[Post-Chorus]

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Song of the Day #2,507: ‘Hey Mama’ – David Guetta feat. Nicki Minaj & Afrojack

This whole thing of the dj/producer getting credit, let alone top credit, on songs just pisses me off. It wasn’t George Martin featuring the Beatles or Phil Ramone featuring Billy Joel. If these people want to put out their own albums with guest artists, fine, but top credit should go to the artist and the “featuring” to the dj for purposes of titling.

I don’t know, I can see both arguments. In the case of ‘Uptown Funk’ (and I presume this song, too), it’s the DJ who created the album, wrote all of the songs (with multiple collaborators), and pulled together all of the talent.

Ronson’s Uptown Special is a collection of songs around a consistent theme, each featuring a different lead vocalist. It’s not as if Mars wrote a song and brought Ronson on board to produce… it was the other way around.

On the flip side, most listeners (myself included) are drawn primarily to the vocal performance. ‘Uptown Funk’ with Jason Derulo in place of Bruno Mars would not be as good a song. So Mars certainly deserves a huge amount of the credit for its success.

• Dana says:

Mars co-wrote the song (apparently 11 writers are credited, which is absurd). To me, Mars’ writing influence is obvious given other funky songs he has written, including CeeLo Green’s “Fuck (Forget) You.”

meanwhile, while I get that Ronson enlisted multiple artists for his album, particularly now in the age of singles, that still doesn’t justify the elevated creeped status. Until recently, it has never been about the producer or the writer, but instead always the artist up front performing the song. Obviously Sinatra didn’t write or produce, but could you ever imagine one of his songs credited as Joe Blow featuring Frank Sinatra?

I stand by my outrage on this one.

• Clay says:

The example I think of from days past is Quincy Jones’ Back On the Block. Also the Santana album that featured ‘Smooth.’

• Dana says:

Did the songs/singles on the Jomes album list Jones as the artist? The Santana example is different because Santana is an artist and musician in his own right.

I don’t think it’s fair to say Ronson or Guetta aren’t artists or musicians in their own right. Ronson plays guitar and other instruments on his albums in addition to shaping the overall sound.

A good recent example is Daft Punk’s ‘Get Lucky,’ which isn’t generally considered a Pharrell song even though he handled the vocal. On that album, Daft Punk crafted a cohesive, thematically consistent song cycle, collaborating with different vocalists for several tracks because they themselves aren’t singers. I think they deserve the top billing because the project is theirs.

Similarly, Jurassic Park is a Steven Spielberg film even though he never appears on screen. It’s not a Laura Dern film… she was just one of the talents who helped fulfill the vision.

Well, the movie analogy is off base as, with few exceptions, films have never been titled or credited to a single person. From the start, films were recognized as an ensemble effort. By contrast, the opposite has always been true with records. For decades, really up to a century at this point, a musical composition has included a credit to a particular performer or band and has been titled that way. There have always been great producers, engineers, studio musicians, etc. Many producers also play instruments, sometimes on the record, sometimes not, but are directly responsible for shaping the sound, building the arrangement, defining the style and so forth. It’s just that, now in the era of computers and protools, the producer/dj status has been elevated to the point where they are somehow the up front name, and the performer who, for decades, would have been recognized and credited for the song is relegated to “featuring” status.

I agree Daf Punk is different and, really, more akin to Santana in that they are the performers and artists, but bring in singers because they can’t sing. That, to me, is different than what is going on with Ronson and Guetta, but I suppose I’m just an old fuddy duddy at this point.😄