Song of the Day #1,218: ‘You Are All My Invention’ – Witness

Whenever I think about record store experiences, I always go back to my discovery of an obscure band called Witness (or Witness UK, as they were forced to identify themselves on early albums due to the existence of an American band also called Witness).

Their 2001 album Under a Sun was playing once while I browsed the racks at a used CD shop and I was so taken by the music that I went to the register and bought it on the spot. It’s the only time I’ve ever done that.

I wrote about this experience once before in a post that wound up being about the fragility of fate. It led to some meaty discussion but mostly about things other than the music.

So here’s another song from an album I consider one of the hidden gems in my collection. It was the band’s second and, sadly, their last.

Night sky looking down, it’s my own
Feel free to fly a plane but it’s my own
Scratch a symbol in the dirt for the earth and the sea
Saying you can’t hurt the night sky
No, you can’t hurt the night sky, that won’t hurt me

I’ll take a walk to clear my head
‘Cos some things are better not said
But taken apart from the inside instead of the out

You are all my own
You are all my own invention

Nothing to do with an afternoon in my home
Any place with a space to breath and it’s my home
Every shape and every color, how I want it to be
Living off the same heartbeat
Living off the same heartbeat as me

I’ll take a walk to clear my head
‘Cos some things are better not said
But taken apart from the inside instead of the out

You are all my own
You are all my own

But I don’t need expert opinions
I don’t need signs of the times
And when I’m left to myself
All those things are left behind

I’ll take a walk to clear my head
‘Cos some things are better not said
But taken apart from the inside instead of the out

You are all my own invention

3 thoughts on “Song of the Day #1,218: ‘You Are All My Invention’ – Witness

Looking back at the previous post, it occurs to me that all of our brains may have been more stimulated by watching a show like Lost at the time. Now, all my head is filled with is how annoying the host of X Factor is and how they should change the format to eliminate or reduce the size of the group category because these groups keep getting the lowest votes, as fans seem to naturally gravitate toward an individual’s story and efforts. Not quite the same meaty discussion as before:)

Anyway, another good song from this band that would otherwise fade into oblivion, but for the way you discovered the CD and the events that came after.

I, too, just reread the past exchange, and I’m ready to jump right in to have the same discussion again. 🙂

If Witness wasn’t already an American band, forcing this band to rename themselves Witness UK, might either band be more successful today? A quick look at Wikepedia tells me that the second album was released just months before 9/11 and that the band broke up by December of that year. Might world events have contributed to the demise of the band? One member went off to teach English in Hong Kong. Sounds like some sort of epiphany led to a decision to make a dramatic change in his life.

The only album I vividly recall discovering in a similar way is Billy Pilgrim’s debut album. Dana and I were in a “Hear Music” store in California in 1994. We’d never been in such a store, where you could listen to any album in the entire store. Somehow we were drawn to the Billy Pilgrim album, and, as we both listened through our own set of headphones, we were instantly hooked – on the album, the store, the concept, the west coast, everything.

Like Witness, Billy Pilgrim also only released one more “official” album. I’m sure that’s just coincidence, but it does point to how stacked the deck is against a little independent band. Without all the right factors, the best chance such a band has to be “discovered” by a potential fan is if the album is playing at the precise moment the person walks into the record store? That just seems too daunting!

Of course Kristian Bush, one half of Billy Pilgrim, left that band to join Sugarland, where he has enjoyed tremendous success.

He then played a concert during which heavy winds blew over a scaffolding, killing seven people. So perhaps if Billy Pilgrim had been more successful, those people would be alive today!