Where the Wild Things Are trailer

wildthingWell, here’s something I’m looking forward to…

Spike Jonze delivered Being John Malkovich and Adaptation his first two times up to bat. Now, without writer Charlie Kaufman on his team, he’s tackling Maurice Sendak’s beloved children’s book Where the Wild Things Are. And this first glimpse looks amazing.

Apart from the fabulous imagery and the potential for poignant scenes about the magic and uncertainty of childhood, you have Catherine Keener and Mark Ruffalo in the human roles. What more can you ask for?

9 thoughts on “Where the Wild Things Are trailer

Looks like a wonderful movie, glad Charlie Kaufman stayed away from this one 🙂

This preview very much reminds me of an arc on thirtysomething many years ago, which was undoubtedly influenced by Sendak’s book in the first place. In it, Nancy was writing a children’s book, but Elliot (her estranged husband) was telling his own ongoing nighttime story to their son Ethan. This story was helping Ethan confront some of his most awful fears (stemming, in part, from his parents’ fighting and imminent divorce). The images in the trailer remind me of the scenes where Ethan was walking around the forest, waiting to deal with the lurking monsters. It was a powerful storyline then, and I, too, look forward to seeing this film.

This is part 3 of the episode, but if you fast forward to 5:15 you’ll see some the build up.

Then 1:50-2:40 and 5:15-8:40 of part 4 to see the pay-off.

Although if you want to watch the last 2 minutes of part 4 and the start of part 5, you can get a sense of just how poignant this show can be.

This feels like a scavenger hunt… 🙂

Good stuff. It’s great that you can just find things like this on YouTube now (at least when the parent companies aren’t pulling them down).

If you like. Enjoy.

To get back to my YouTube rave, I don’t get why companies would want to pull down something like this.

All I can see those thirtysomething clips doing is getting people inspired to rent or buy the DVDs of the series. You’re not going to watch entire shows on YouTube, at least not on a consistent basis.

And even if some people do, at least it’s keeping the show out there. The alternative is that nobody ever thinks about it.

I agree. I was shocked I found thirtysomething on YouTube, as my last quest (months+ ago) came up empty. I don’t think it’s even been released on DVD yet, so it makes even more sense to keep potential viewers interested. I’m glad you watched a bit of it, since you were too young/uninterested to appreciate the show when it was originally on. Boy did I love this show.

Well, I was 15-19-something when the show was on… probably not the best demographic. 🙂 I’m sure it would resonate with me now as an actual thirtysomething.

Didn’t these same guys create My So-Called Life? There’s a show that really captured the teen experience. Interesting how the same (probably 40-something) producers were able to pull off both.