Song of the Day #3,393: ‘I Can’t Love You Anymore’ – Lyle Lovett

Day 28 of the 30 Day Music Challenge calls for ‘A Song By An Artist With a Voice That You Love.’ As usual, lots of great options here.

I might have gone with several artists I’ve already featured in this series, including yesterday’s pick, Fiona Apple, as well as Frank Sinatra, Tift Merritt, Elton John, Michael Stipe or Olivia Newton-John. But repeats are a no-no.

I’m thrilled to have a spot for today’s featured artist, however. Lyle Lovett is a peerless songwriter and a superb vocalist, who brings his unique wry charm to his own songs as well as those he covers. He also has a knack for bringing a lived-in ache to his sadder songs, like today’s country standout from his 1996 album The Road to Ensenada.

This Georgia road is red
The Georgia sky is blue
And it looks just like the sky
That carried me to you
The good Lord up in heaven knows
What I’ve been going through

‘Cause I don’t love you any less
But I can’t love you anymore

It’s Tuscaloosa, Birmingham
Or Baton Rouge
Hell I don’t know just where I’m at
To tell the truth
But the good Lord up in heaven knows
What you’ve been going through
And he’s whispering to me
That he’ll take care of you

My angel in distress

I’ll send you my address
When I know what it will be
I could easily stay with you
On your side of heaven’s door
‘Cause I don’t love you any less
But I can’t love you anymore

I don’t love you any less
But I can’t love you anymore

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Song of the Day #3,393: ‘I Can’t Love You Anymore’ – Lyle Lovett

1. Dana Gallup says:

There are a couple of artists who for the bill for this challenge. Lovett is one of them. Other contenders for me would include Bonnie Raitt, Michael Stipe and Peter Gabriel. But I’m going with a Sting for my pick.

I have often said that a great singer could sing “Row, Row, Row Your Boat”or the “ABCs” song and make it interesting and compelling just by the quality and unique nature of the voice. Sting has always been my Exhibit A for this theory. Sting can make even a lesser song more interesting. Indeed, some in my family (including my wife and her brother😊) have criticized Sting for sometimes repeating a chorus or refrain too many times. While I get that criticism on one level, I have countered that Sting’s voice is really just another instrument in his band and if you focus more on the musicality than the repetitive nature of the lyrics, it becomes less bothersome.

Anyway, I could have picked any Sting song to illustrate his fine unique voice, but I’ll go with a beauty from his great album Nothing Like the Sun…

2. Peg Clifton says:

I know you are all expecting a Sinatra song, but I do like other singers including the two just mentioned. I think I will go with Sarah Vaughn and her version of Send In The Clowns. It’s jazzy and wonderful

Of course I love your pick though I anticipated a song more like “Nobody Knows Me” to represent the Lyle who brings a lived-in ache to his performances. This isn’t a sad song, but it is certainly a tender one. I’m sharing this performance as it is from his current concert, which we will be seeing this coming Monday. I may add another pick, but it’s difficult for me to think of a voice I love more than Lyle’s despite the fact that I’ve likely already chosen him for a few of these challenges.

My official pick is James Taylor. I’ve seen him in concert almost as many times as I’ve seen Lyle Lovett. While his voice doesn’t have all the nooks and crannies and intrigue of Lyle’s, it is far from boring (something Clay and I have disagreed upon for years). Our son’s middle name is in honor of this artist and song, so how can I not feature it today? In a Rolling Stone feature on the 100 best singers, David Crosby had this to say about Taylor: “Ultimately, I think James’ voice reflects the man,” says Crosby. “He’s kind, lovely and very much a gentleman. He doesn’t walk off the path too far, but what a path he’s walked. It also doesn’t hurt that, for me, he’s up there as a songwriter alongside Lennon and McCartney, Dylan and Joni Mitchell — the best of the best.” That about sums it up for me. As you watch him interact with the audience before launching into “Sweet Baby James,” it’s hard for me to imagine a person/voice whose company I’d prefer.

i just looked back and was shocked/stunned to see I haven’t yet selected Lyle Lovett for this challenge (while I selected James Taylor once already and the Counting Crows twice). I’m sticking with my pick, but I hope there’ll be a category that lets me officially select Lovett in the next two days!! 🙂

6. Maddie says:

Haven’t featured this artist yet, and I think he fits really well for this category. So many options to go with but, for the tone and emotion in his voice, Marcus Mumford is going to take this one for me:

7. Rob says:

Another killer category! I can list 8 vocalists off the top of my head, voices that I truly adore … Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys, Don Henley (Eagles, solo work), J.D. Souther, Jesse Winchester, Paul Rodgers (Bad Company, solo work), Tom Jones, Barry Gibb, Timothy B. Schmidt (Poco, Eagles, solo work) … but the voice that can stop me in my tracks just about every time belongs to Emmylou Harris. That voice slays me every time. Here she covers Steve Earle’s melancholic “Goodbye”, produced by Daniel Lanois for the “Wrecking Ball” sessions.