Song of the Day #2,179: ‘The Luckiest (Live)’ – Ben Folds

benfolds2My desert island countdown continues (see last Monday’s post for the full explanation).

Desert Island Musical Artists – Honorable Mention – Ben Folds

Ben Folds is another slam-dunk for this list who nevertheless failed to make the top five because, well, five is just a ridiculously small number. I might have swapped him in for Elvis Costello, but the breadth of genres Costello has covered won the day.

But if Folds has “only” made smart piano pop throughout his career, that’s plenty. Because nobody has done it better. Plus, his inclusion on the island list would also make room for the three excellent albums he made with Ben Folds Five.

Desert Island TV Series – Honorable Mention – The Wire

As BJ Novak put it in an online essay, “I’ll watch The Wire when I watch The Wire.” And what better time to watch The Wire than while stranded on a desert island?

No doubt I will love it as much as its rabid fan base, and if I’m ever rescued from the island I can join the chorus of supporters.

Desert Island Movie Directors – Honorable Mention – Pedro Almodovar

Almodovar is an easy pick for the second tier of this list for a few reasons.

One is that I love the nine of his nineteen films that I have seen. Another is that I have ten more to look forward to. Also, none of the films I’ve brought with me so far have been very sexy. Almodovar has a kinky streak a mile long, so it’s a good way to get some skin onto the island.

And finally, I will have nineteen opportunities to work on my Spanish. I would like to emerge from the island bilingual, even if I can only deliver melodramatic speeches in Antonio Banderas’ accent.

I don’t get many things right the first time
In fact, I am told that a lot
Now I know all the wrong turns, the stumbles and falls
Brought me here
And where was I before the day
That I first saw your lovely face?
Now I see it everyday
And I know that I am the luckiest

What if I’d been born fifty years before you
In a house on a street where you lived?
Maybe I’d be outside as you passed on your bike
Would I know?

And in a wide sea of eyes
I see one pair that I recognize
And I know that I am the luckiest

I love you more than I have ever found a way to say to you

Next door there’s an old man who lived to his nineties
And one day passed away in his sleep
And his wife; she stayed for a couple of days
And passed away

I’m sorry, I know that’s a strange way to tell you that I know we belong
That I know that I am the luckiest

About these ads

6 thoughts on “Song of the Day #2,179: ‘The Luckiest (Live)’ – Ben Folds

Folds would almost definitely muscle his way into my top 5.

Your rationale for the other two picks is amusing. I might well join you in finally watching “The Wire.” A bit less sure about the Almodovar choice, but I get why his films would appeal to your needs on the island.

Love that you used today as a chance to post a live recording of one of Folds’ most simple and most lovely songs. He, too, would be a contender for my top five and certainly my top ten. I love that I could put his albums on regardless of whether I was in the mood to reflect, to cry, or to sing and dance enthusiastically. He covers all those bases.

I think I made the Novak observation a week ago, didn’t I? If not, I thought it :) Yup, this is the chance to watch those shows you’ve never quite gotten around to… and The Wire might make my list for that reason.

As I’m writing, I keep stopping to watch this magnificent orchestra play the hell out of Folds’ songs. Surely, the ability for a “pop” ballad to be performed by an orchestra in this manner ought to elevate the song’s status a bit, no? :)

I’ll pass on Almovodar, but I like your plan to emerge bilingual. Can I bring along a Rosetta Stone program instead? ;)

Well I am not familiar with Ben Fold’s music so I can’t comment but I’m sure he is worthy of your island choice; tried to watch the Wire once or twice and couldn’t get into it, but I’m sure I would if I gave it some time; finally, Yes to Almovodar, he is one of my favorites :)

These are lovely lyrics BTW :)

5. Andrea Katz says:

I LOVE Almodavar. I can watch Volver on a continuous loop. Have you seen it (Amy and Dana)? How about “About My Mother”, “Talk to Her”, “In Her Skin”? (Hope I didn’t botch those titles). Very kinky and engrossing. I would most like to look exactly like Penelope Cruz (after Natalie Wood).

6. Andrea Katz says: