Song of the Day #2,178: ‘Run For Your Life’ – The Beatles

beatles_littlehelpMy desert island countdown continues (see last Monday’s post for the full explanation).

Desert Island Musical Artists – Honorable Mention – The Beatles

I’m a bit ashamed that I didn’t include The Beatles in my top five desert island artists, but in order to get the mix just right they had to be nixed.

Perhaps I’ve heard their songs so many times over so many years that I can imagine going without it. But the first time I got the urge to hear ‘In My Life’ or ‘If I Fell’ and realized it wasn’t an option, that would be a very dark day indeed.

Desert Island TV Series – Honorable Mention – Battlestar Galactica

The penultimate season was a little shaky, and the finale wasn’t 100% satisfying, but that shouldn’t overshadow what an extraordinary accomplishment showrunner Ron Moore pulled off here.

A political thriller as complex and morally murky as a great novel, Battlestar Galactica delivered one riveting, thought-provoking episode after another. At its best, few shows (or movies) could match its brilliant intensity.

This would be a wonderful island re-watch.

Desert Island Movie Directors – Honorable Mention – Paul Thomas Anderson

If only Anderson had more movies under his belt (this year’s Inherent Vice will be his seventh) he would have been a slam dunk for my top five. Few filmmakers working today can equal his mastery of sight and sound.

Boogie Nights, Magnolia and There Will Be Blood are all masterpieces. Punch-Drunk Love and The Master are tougher to crack but just as beautifully constructed. And there might not be a better director of actors — who else could get such a gripping and touching performance out of Adam Sandler??

Believe it or not, I have yet to see Anderson’s first film, Hard Eight. It’s been sitting in my NetFlix queue for years now. My private island would finally leave me without an excuse.

Well I’d rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or I won’t know where I am

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man
That’s the end’a little girl

Well you know that I’m a wicked guy
And I was born with a jealous mind
And I can’t spend my whole life
Trying just to make you toe the line

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man
That’s the end’a little girl

Let this be a sermon
I mean everything I’ve said
Baby, I’m determined
And I’d rather see you dead

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man
That’s the end’a little girl

I’d rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Or you won’t know where I am

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man
That’s the end’a little girl
Na, na, na
Na, na, na
Na, na, na
Na, na, na

About these ads

5 thoughts on “Song of the Day #2,178: ‘Run For Your Life’ – The Beatles

Battlestar, though great, would be too dark for my island viewing, and Anderson’s filmography would not make the cut either, both because of the limited selection and because I don’t feel the desire to revisit his work.

The Beatles, on the other hand, would be a welcomed selection to my island music. In fact, if selecting Paul Simon allows for inclusion of Simon and Garfunkel, why not pick John Lennon so that you get Beatles together with his fine solo career?

An interesting question… should including the Beatles mean you get the solo careers of all four members as well? And what about McCartney’s work with Wings?

My gut tells me no. I see the Paul Simon example differently, because Simon was the songwriter for S&G. That material is really just an extension of his solo work. I see Ben Folds/Ben Folds Five similarly. But if the band was a true songwriting collaboration, I don’t think it’s fair to lump it together with the work of one member. Would be a nice loophole, though.

• Dana says:

Well, perhaps including all 4 solo careers would be a stretch (and who really wants Ringo’s solo work anyway?) But the vast majority of the songwriting for the Beatles was Lennon/McCartney and so I don’t see picking up at least one of their solo careers along with The Beatles catalog as much of a stretch. Heck, if you are strictly going by songwriting, I would be willing to take Lennon’s solo work and his Beatles penned songs (to the extent they can be segregated). That would still be a wonderful selection to keep me entertained on the island.

Can’t believe the Beatles didn’t make your top 5! I might pick up Battlestar as one of my top ten, though I do agree with Dana’s desire to have some light-hearted moments in there. There weren’t many of those. Still, what a great show. Anderson I’d pass on entirely, as I can’t imagine wanting to rewatch any of his films other than Punch-Drunk Love, and I’ve not yet gotten around to The Master.

I too can’t believe the Beatles didn’t make it in your top 5! I too would pass on Anderson as I’m not a fan of his films, and I’m sure Battlestar is truly worth watching,but I might opt for something other than science fiction.