Song of the Day #1,926: ‘Something in the Way She Moves’ – James Taylor

james_taylorBy some measures, this is the first proper James Taylor post on this blog.

I’ve posted three tracks featuring Taylor over the past five years, but each earns as asterisk.

The one Taylor original, ‘Mexico,’ was posted without comment during one of my vacations. ‘Our Town‘ is a Randy Newman Pixar tune that Taylor performed (beautifully) for the movie Cars.

And ‘Sailing to Philadelphia‘ is a Mark Knopfler track on which he duets with Taylor.

That post was the infamous one that led to a 32-comment debate after I casually wrote that I find his music boring. I love those epic comment battles, particularly when they’re over something benign like a singer-songwriter rather than, say, politics or religion.

There’s something in the way she moves,
Or looks my way, or calls my name,
That seems to leave this troubled world behind.
And if I’m feeling down and blue,
Or troubled by some foolish game,
She always seems to make me change my mind.

And I feel fine anytime she’s around me now,
She’s around me now
Almost all the time
And if I’m well you can tell she’s been with me now,
She’s been with me now quite a long, long time
And I feel fine.

Every now and then the things I lean on lose their meaning
And I find myself careening
Into places where I should not let me go.
She has the power to go where no one else can find me
And to silently remind me
Of the happiness and the good times that I know

It isn’t what she’s got to say
But how she thinks and where she’s been
To me, the words are nice, the way they sound
I like to hear them best that way
It doesn’t much matter what they mean
If she says them mostly just to calm me down

About these ads

7 thoughts on “Song of the Day #1,926: ‘Something in the Way She Moves’ – James Taylor

In the spirit of the GOP, I am going to shut down this blog and refuse to allow future posts until you concede that James Taylor is not boring!đŸ˜„

Seriously, though, this song is beautiful.

I love this song, and only really know it by Frank Sinatra, and I must say I do like Sinatra’s version better. But I don’t think James Taylor is boring even if he’s no Sinatra :)

oops, Dad just reminded me that the Beatles wrote and recorded it :) so I stand corrected

• Dana says:

No, Peg, it’s a different song. If I recall correctly, George Harrison heard Taylor’s song (Taylor was the first artist signed to the Beatles label Apple Recotds) and lifted the line for his song “Something.”

Ahhh thanks for clarifying

5. Andrea Katz says:

Why boring? Explain, please.

How is this a “proper” post? You haven’t talked about the song – or Taylor’s performance of it – at all. You can’t call a post devoted to how you’ve never devoted a proper post to Taylor a proper post. I object!!

Meanwhile, I’m glad that Dana clarified that this song is not the same as “Something” written by George Harrison and later covered by Sinatra. This song is just so special. “To me, the words are nice the way they sound” – has there ever been a more simple and profound love song written? I have always adored the song -as I have always adored Taylor. But I’ll let those who want to revisit that debate click on Clay’s link above :)