Song of the Day #1,577: ‘Just Like Heaven’ – The Cure

I’ve completely missed the boat on The Cure, for better or worse. I know almost nothing about them apart from front-man Robert Smith’s resemblance to Edward Scissorhands and a passing familiarity with a few of their most popular songs.

I certainly had no idea that the band had released 15 studio albums dating back to 1979. In fact, 1987’s Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me — the successful album that featured today’s Song of the Day — was The Cure’s ninth release. I didn’t exactly consider them a one-hit wonder but no way did I imagine they had that kind of longevity.

I was also surprised to learn that The Cure’s early records were a far cry from the atmospheric mood rock for which they became known.

Their first two albums, Three Imaginary Boys and Boys Don’t Cry, are pure punk/pop, as musically tight and economical as their later work is expansive and ethereal. On those records, Robert Smith was more Sid Vicious than Morrissey.

But these revelations aside, I suspect the “important” Cure songs remain the best-known. Today’s SOTD, ‘Just Like Heaven,’ along with ‘Love Song,’ ‘Pictures Of You’ and ‘Friday I’m in Love.’

“Show me how you do that trick
The one that makes me scream” she said
“The one that makes me laugh” she said
And threw her arms around my neck

“Show me how you do it
And I promise you I promise that
I’ll run away with you
I’ll run away with you”

Spinning on that dizzy edge
I kissed her face and kissed her head
And dreamed of all the different ways I had
To make her glow

“Why are you so far away?” she said
“Why won’t you ever know that I’m in love with you
That I’m in love with you”

You
Soft and only
You
Lost and lonely
You
Strange as angels
Dancing in the deepest oceans
Twisting in the water
You’re just like a dream

Daylight licked me into shape
I must have been asleep for days
And moving lips to breathe her name
I opened up my eyes
And found myself alone alone
Alone above a raging sea
That stole the only girl I loved
And drowned her deep inside of me

You
Soft and only
You
Lost and lonely
You
Just like heaven

About these ads

3 thoughts on “Song of the Day #1,577: ‘Just Like Heaven’ – The Cure

Although I have certainly heard of the cure, I don’t know their music, apparently not even their hits as I haven’t even head this one. I guess my association with the band may be limited to the Ben Folds reference (“See I’ve got your whole i.d., You’re all dressed up like the Cure”)

Sorry… Make that “old I.d.”đŸ˜ƒ

3. Shawn says:

There best of album is what you need in their collection, but I can’t remember the name of it offhand. It starts off with Killing An Arab. Having that one and some REM, maybe U2 (very maybe), shows you weren’t completely wacked out on Total Eclipse of the Heart and hair metal bands (but you better have some Crue, Metallica, and Ozzy!) during the 80’s.