Song of the Day #1,462: ‘Things We Said Today’ – The Beatles

Best Albums of the 60s – #1
A Hard Day’s Night – The Beatles (1964)

Today’s pick is very similar to yesterday’s in that both are early albums by artists who went on to create much more ambitious and ground-breaking work.

A Hard Day’s Night was the third Beatles album but the first to feature exclusively original material. Billed as the soundtrack to the film of the same name, the album featured all of the new songs in the movie plus additional material written for the film but unused in the final cut.

This is my favorite Beatles album not because it broke new ground musically or revolutionized the recording and production process — it didn’t do any of those things. What it does is capture the infectious creative energy that led to Beatlemania, the brilliance that four young men from Liverpool demonstrated before they traveled down the rabbit hole.

And it’s my favorite because of the songs. ‘A Hard Day’s Night,’ ‘I Should Have Known Better,’ ‘Can’t Buy Me Love,’ ‘And I Love Her,’ ‘Tell Me Why,’ ‘If I Fell’ — and that’s just on Side One.

My sister once said that Hannah and Her Sisters was her favorite film, but Manhattan was her favorite Woody Allen film, a statement that never quite made sense to me (in part because Hannah feels very much like a Woody Allen film). But I found myself thinking recently that ‘In My Life’ could be my favorite song, while ‘If I Fell’ is my favorite Beatles song.

I don’t think that makes much sense, either, but at least now I know where she was coming from.

And don’t let me shortchange Side Two, which features the lovely ‘I’ll Be Back,’ ‘Any Time at All’ and today’s SOTD, among others.

Looking back on this 60s list, I featured six Beatles albums, five by Bob Dylan and three by The Rolling Stones. Fourteen classic albums released over a 7-year period. I don’t know that we’ll ever see that sort of creative explosion again. After posting series dedicated to four decades, I can safely say the 60s takes the grand prize. Anybody disagree?

You say you will love me
If I have to go.
You’ll be thinking of me,
Somehow I will know.

Someday when I’m lonely,
Wishing you weren’t so far away,
Then I will remember
Things we said today.

You say you’ll be mine, girl,
‘Til the end of time.
These days such a kind girl
Seems so hard to find.

Someday when we’re dreaming,
Deep in love, not a lot to say.
Then we will remember
Things we said today.

Me, I’m just the lucky kind.
Love to hear you say that love is luck.
And, though we may be blind,
Love is here to stay. And that’s enough.

To make you mine, girl,
Be the only one.
Love me all the time, girl.
We’ll go on and on.

Someday when we’re dreaming,
Deep in love, not a lot to say.
Then we will remember
Things we said today.

Me, I’m just the lucky kind.
Love to hear you say that love is luck.
And, though we may be blind,
Love is here to stay. And that’s enough.

To make you mine, girl,
Be the only one
Love me all the time, girl.
We’ll go on and on.

Someday when we’re dreaming,
Deep in love, not a lot to say.
Then we will remember
Things we said today.

About these ads

6 thoughts on “Song of the Day #1,462: ‘Things We Said Today’ – The Beatles

I definitely agree!

2. The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

Not that I don’t love the Beatles, but it sounds a lot like all of their other stuff. I like artist who can do many different styles and many different sounds, And not to mention Love me (you) all the time girl. Eight Days A Week anybody.

3. Shawn says:

Interesting song to pick, one in a minor key. Those earlier songs of the Beatles are just so perfectly constructed. Such necessary learning for a songwriter. Off hand I don’t know another song written before the SOTD that sounds like it though. The Beatles were great, but it had to come from somewhere, but that’s one reason they are so great, it has a touch of originality.

Well, I guessed your pick, though it took me until about a day ago to figure it out:) In trying to figure out if this album would be the one, I thought to myself…”Self, I can see this one because this album is really just a collection of excellent songs with not a glariingly weaker one in the bunch.” With Rubber Soul, you have “Michelle,” With Revolver, you have “Yellow Submarine;” But I don’t see the conspicous weak song on Hard Day’s Night. Now, having said that, I still like Rubber Soul better (and maybe even Abbey Road) because I feel the best songs on those albums are better than the best songs on Hard Day’s Night.

This is kinda like saying a particular movie that is considstently very good but not necessarily great could win out over a movie that is excellent except for one element or one scene…or something like that.

Anyway, as to the earlier comments—-I love you like a son Cool Guy Daniel :) but have to check your room for narcotics for suggesting that the BEATLES didn’t do different styles and sounds. Frankly, no band before, and few since, explored more areas of music–from folk to blues to country to rock to heavy metal to psychedelic — than the Fab Four. I agree that not all of those diverse elements are present on Hard Day’s Night (though some are), but I patently reject the idea that the Beatles did not have different styles and sounds over the course of their career.

And Shawn, good pick up on the minor key selection–but what I have always foudn really cool about this song was the constant shifting between the major and minor chords. I don’t know who really did that before the Beatles, and very few artists have done it as boldly since. Just another example of the Beatles’ ever expanding sound.

• Shawn says:

Yeah, I agree about the minor to major chord changes. I guess i didn’t want to get technical! Not that I can go too far into theory. But, wow, do the verse in minor chords, Am and Em, then start the chorus in A. Genius? Probably, though its in the execution, because I know I’ve tried the idea before I knew how to play the song (it is clear here I’m saying I’m not a genius, right?) But never, never, never, would I had thought to go to a B flat at the end of a refrain before returning to the Am for the next verse. That’s the kind of creativity that buys big shiny cars and mansions across the globe.

• The Cool Guy (Daniel) says:

I never said that the Beatles didn’t have diversity in their songs. That is why I love the Beatles. That is why I was slightly dissapointed by this song.