Song of the Day #1,071: ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’ – Chris Colfer

Top Ten ‘Glee’ Performances – Season 2
#1 – ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’ – Kurt

I knew this performance would be #1 on this list the minute it aired, way back in the third episode of ‘Glee’s second season. Nothing else ever really stood a chance.

For me, the relationship between Kurt and his father has always been the highlight of the show. Mike O’Malley surfaces only a few times each season but he always brings compassion and realism to the role of Burt, a blue-collar single father of a gay son.

Is he too good to be true? Maybe, but he never comes across that way.

In the episode ‘Grilled Cheesus,’ Burt suffers a heart attack and clings to life throughout the episode. The Glee Club kids take turns trying to comfort Kurt, an atheist, but their appeals to religion leave him cold. At times this episode feels preachy, bending over backward to represent every viewpoint without choosing a side, but Chris Colfer’s powerful performance keeps things in check. This will no doubt be his Emmy submission episode, and he’ll no doubt be nominated.

Toward the end of the episode, Kurt expresses his feelings in song, choosing the Across the Universe version of The Beatles’ ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand.’ So often songs about romantic love can double as expressions of the love between parent and child. I’ve noticed that about Beatles songs in particular (I used to sing both of my daughters to sleep with ‘In My Life’).

Kurt, in his wounded soprano, professing his desire to just hold his father’s hand again was the most powerful moment on ‘Glee’ all year.

Oh yeah, I´ll tell you something
I think you´ll understand
When I say that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand

Oh, please, say to me
You´ll let me be your man
and please, say to me

You´ll let me hold your hand
Now let me hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand

I think you´ll understand
When I feel that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand

About these ads

11 thoughts on “Song of the Day #1,071: ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’ – Chris Colfer

I wouldn’t dream of arguing with anything you’ve said in this post.

First, I was shocked when I saw the SOTD, as I had convinced myself that this was a season 1 performance, with “Blackbird” as the second season’s Kurt + Beatles = magic moment. When the family and I were bouncing around possibilities, this song was never even mentioned, as we all (those of us who were “playing,” at least ;) thought of it as topping last season’s list.

Just as the Glee machine milks every last performance by releasing far more CD’s than is necessary (Regionals, Madonna Mania!, GAGA, A Christmas Album, and so on), so, too, have they created four mini-seasons rather than two long ones, by separating the two halves of a single season and taking a long break between them.

So,.. yes, this was perhaps the most emotional and finest moment on Glee this season (and what a job the casting director did finding young actors to play the younger counterparts of our beloved cast!)

Your observation about Colfer likely submitting this episode for consideration for an Emmy is also fascinating/frustrating. While he certainly had some VERY funny moments at the start of this show, as he proudly wore his atheism on his sleeve before learning of his father’s heart attack, this episode showcases his dramatic chops more than anything. Why he is asked/forced to compete in the comedy category, I don’t really understand. How can Modern Family’s Eric Stonestreet, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Ty Burrell and Ed O’Neill compete with a moment like this? Why should they have to? Didn’t mean to go on an Emmy rave, but I had to have a mini one.

I’m not sure how many of your dear readers are still waiting in anticipation to know what MY pick for #1 would have been, since this SOTD was obviously not even on my radar. Regardless, I’m going to share it with them (and you):

I present….

While I certainly now understand why this wasn’t your pick for #1, I can’t fathom how it couldn’t find a spot on your top ten list for the season.

For me, this song and this moment exemplifies everything I love most about this show. That these two misfits have gone from viewing each other skeptically to passionately competing (for solos, at regionals, hell, at one point, for Blaine!), while growing into their friendship, has been just a joy to watch. Nobody quite “gets” Rachel as much as Kurt does. And vice versa. (btw, this is where I throw in my semi-regular rant that we’ve yet to see Rachel’s gay dads, who would ever miss a chance to watch their Broadway baby perform. RIGHT!)

Having Kurt lead Rachel into a Broadway theater, where they could both envision themselves on the stage of Wicked, not only spoke to their dreams beyond high school, not only evoked the wonderful “Defying Gravity” off from season one, but it perfectly captured what this relationship, this chance to know each other through the glee club, has meant for both characters. They have changed “for good.” Simple. Perfect. My #1.

Yes, For Good’ was definitely a great moment. I’m not sure why it didn’t find its way into my top ten, though I will say when I first saw it I expected to be more blown away than I was.

I was trying to remember if your choice today was from this season or last. I agree that this was the highlight of the season, can’t watch it without tearing up. I love this young man, that’s all there is to it.

Oh, and I love Amy’s choice, a great moment in the season and it bought my two favorite performers together. I, too, love this relationship.

well, Clay, how could you possibly make room for the Wicked show stopper when you had to include that magnificent “Slave” song from that great episode:)

Anyway, I too thought this was a season 1 song, so it wasn’t on my radar for this countdown either. Still, it is, no doubt a worthy pick.

6. Kerrie Rueda says:

Okay, so I’m torn. Clay, your number 1 was one of the most perfect Glee moments of the season. I agree with everything you said and fully support your choice. That said, I am also 100% with Amy on what I expected to see as your number 1 and what was my choice for this season.

While the relationship between Kurt and his father is one of my favorite parts of Glee (too good to be true or not), this scene between Rachel and Kurt really stood out to me. I felt like them singing this duet on the stage of “Wicked” was planned from the moment they had their “Defying Gravity” diva-off and that every word that has ever been exchanged between them was leading to this moment. It was more than just the wonderful song performed by wonderful singers that put this one over the top for me (and yes, I cried like a baby watching it – as I did Kurt’s performance of Clay’s pick….), it was the connective thread that brought their relationship to this point that really hit me. I’m surprised this didn’t make your list, but I liked all your other choices, too, so I’m not complaining. :) How about a top 10 Glee duet list?? There have been some great ones!! :-)

7. Maddie says:

I also thought “For Good” should have had a spot somewhere on this list… Still this was an amazing performance, and I guess my list would be a little different to include both songs. Again everyone and their very insightful comments beat me to it :P I agree with just about everything, except maybe Clay saying that it didn’t meet his expectations.. met mine.
    Also there should have been a Puck song on there.. just saying

Kerrie, I’m glad that at least we were on the same page about this performance! And I have to agree with Dana that “Slave” clearly could have been bumped to make way for our choice.

Clay, have you watched “For Good” again? Isolated from the overall show? I’ve found that it becomes more powerful with each viewing, so I wonder if it woudln’t raise in your estimation if you watched it again.

I watched the clip you posted above. I don’t want to take away from it, it was a very nice moment. But it just didn’t leap out at me when I was putting together the list.

I did want to give all of the cast members their due, and ‘Slave’ was definitely a standout moment for Brittany, so I included that.

Maddie, I really wanted to include a Puck song but they really underused him this season! I don’t know if it was payback for putting out an album or what, but he had only a few performances and they were generally throwaways. I hope they remedy that next year. He did feature nicely in the ‘Never Going Back Again’ clip, at least.

Indeed he did ;)

11. Kerrie Rueda says:

I agree about Puck. How in the world could you include something like “Fat Bottomed Girls” just to give Puck a shout out?? If anything, his “One Love” duet with Artie could have made it in, but that goes back to my argument for a duet list. I can think of a bunch of good ones for THAT list! :)