Song of the Day #1,067: ‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside’ – Chris Colfer & Darren Criss

Top Ten ‘Glee’ Performances – Season 2
#5 – ‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside’ – Kurt & Blaine

One of the best and worst things to happen to ‘Glee’ in Season Two was the emergence of a love interest for Kurt.

On the plus side, the bullying storyline that drove Kurt from McKinley High to the Dalton Academy was well handled and poignant.

And Blaine Anderson (played by the super talented Darren Criss) proved a dreamy distraction from the troubles Kurt left behind. The blooming of their relationship was a joy to watch, and how great to imagine all the American households rooting for a couple of gay kids to have their first kiss.

However, the show sometimes suffered by stripping New Directions of one of its most talented members and limiting Kurt’s interaction with the rest of the cast. And the Dalton Academy scenes often turned into the Blaine Show, with Kurt relegated to background singer status.

At times, though, the plot move led to sublime moments like this one, from the Christmas episode. Blaine and Kurt’s flirtatious performance of ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ was one of the early indications that Kurt’s crush might develop into something more.

I really can’t stay (Baby, it’s cold outside)
I’ve got to go ‘way (Baby, it’s cold outside)
The evening has been (I’ve been hopin’ that you’d drop in)
So very nice (I’ll hold your hand, they’re just like ice)

My mother will start to worry (Hey beautiful, what’s your hurry)
And father will be pacing the floor (Listen to that fireplace roar)
So really, I’d better scurry (Beautiful, please don’t hurry)
Well, maybe just a half a drink more (Put some music on while I pour)

The neighbors might think (Baby, it’s bad out there)
Say, what’s in this drink (No cabs to be had out there)
I wish I knew how (Your eyes are like starlight now)
To break this spell (I’ll take your hat, your hair looks swell)

I oughtta say no, no, no sir (You mind if I move in closer)
At least I’m gonna say that I tried (And what’s the sense in hurting my pride)
I really can’t stay (Oh baby, don’t hold out)
Oh, but it’s cold outside

I simply must go (It’s cold outside)
The answer is no (Baby, it’s cold outside)
The welcome has been (So lucky that you dropped in)
So nice and warm (Look out the window at that storm)

My sister will be suspicious (Your lips look delicious)
My brother will be there at the door (I ain’t worried about you brother)
My maiden aunt’s mind is vicious (That ol’ biddy, she ain’t gonna bother me)
Well maybe just a cigarette more (You don’t need no cigarette, it’s smokin’ plenty up in here)

I’ve got to get home (Baby, you’ll freeze out there)
Say, lend me a comb (It’s up to your knees out there)
You’ve really been grand (I thrill when you touch my hand)
Oh, but don’t you see (How can you do this thing to me)

There’s bound to be talk tomorrow (Well, think of my lifelong sorrow)
At least there will be plenty implied (If you caught pneumonia and died)
I really can’t stay (Get over that hold out)
Oh, but baby it’s cold outside

About these ads

6 thoughts on “Song of the Day #1,067: ‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside’ – Chris Colfer & Darren Criss

1. Kerrie Rueda says:

Love it, love it, love it, love it!!!! I agree with your comments; I was so glad when Kurt returned to McKinley High but that he returned with a boyfriend was worth the little detour for me. :)

“Sublime” is the perfect word to describe this scene. Watching it again right now, I’m again struck by how different in tone it is from most of the numbers on the show. When it first aired, I remember thinking in passing how much the scene reminded me of one of those old Christmas specials hosted by Bing Crosby.

Now that I’m watching it outside of the context of the rest of the show, I’m convinced that is exactly what Ryan Murphy intended. The notion that the set, the choreography, the camera angles and the orchestration could be so blatantly old-fashioned, while the only “contemporary” aspect of the scene is the fact that the potential lovers are young men, is a stroke of genius.

Great choice! I agree that the one negative of this storyline was Kurt’s absence from the New Directions. Still, his return was all the sweeter once we knew how much we (and they) missed him. Also, I like how Murphy (or his writers) often deal with the criticism the show is receiving within the scripts. When Kurt snarkily commented that he was tired of feeling like one of the background singers in “Blaine and the Pips,” I couldn’t help but cheer – and feel a bit less agitated about the injustice of it all. At least Kurt was allowed to be angry, too.

Still, I’m sure he was happy to trade a bunch of solo performances for a boyfriend as dreamy as Blaine! ;)

3. Maddie says:

Darren!!! YAY! :) This was one of the first songs from Glee that I searched out to hear the audio a while before it aired, and then searched for the actual scene a day or two before it aired. Well.. I did that for pretty much every Darren song, but If i’m recalling right, the aurio for this may have been released either before he came on the show or shortly after.. Either way, I absolutley adored the way they sounded together, and the clip just made me want to die of adorableness. This is still so far my favorite duet with the two of them (and I hope there will be more to come.)

Also I miss Blaine…. Glad Kurt came back to where he belongs, but I absolutley can’t wait until Mr. Blaine joins him there.

Maddie, I just love that you wanted to “die of adorableness” ;) As I have mentioned before, Kurt is my favorite character on Glee, so I too was happy for all the reasons you all have mentioned. Love this moment they had on Glee!

This scene, and indeed the entire “relatiohship” between these two young boys is an abomination and a sin against G-d and nature for which the actors and producers should be sent directly to Hell!

Oh, sorry….like Anthony Weiner, my account was apparently hacked. Although I can’t say with certitude that I didn’t write that first paragraph, I can say that those are not my true feelings. Big fan of Kurt and Blaine and their lovely relationship, which is hopefully forcing some folks in middle America watching the show to re-evaluate some of their prejudices and positions on issues such as gay marriage.

That Dana is a funny man :)