Song of the Day #1,064: ‘Loser Like Me’ – ‘Glee’ Cast

Top Ten ‘Glee’ Performances – Season 2
#6 – ‘Loser Like Me’ – ‘Glee’ Cast

When Mr. Schuester announced that the glee club would be writing and performing its own songs for the regional competition, I groaned.

I love the way ‘Glee’ re-imagines existing songs — their biggest successes are almost always tunes I recognize instantly. Wouldn’t original songs, simply by virtue of being new, lack that ability to grab me at first listen? And would whatever songwriters the producers hired to pen these songs really be a match for the tunesmiths ‘Glee’ usually covers?

And my fears were realized, for the most part. I vaguely remember something slow by Rachel in the regionals and a mediocre group song in the nationals but I sure won’t be tracking them down on iTunes. Some of the aborted songwriting attempts, played for jokes, were cute — Santana’s “trouty mouth” ode to Sam was a highlight — but the rest left me wishing for more covers.

The one major exception, however, was the big finale at regionals. ‘Loser Like Me’ does have an instantly hummable hook and it captures the underdog spirit of New Directions quite nicely, complete with a final slushie-tossing twist.

Yeah, you may think that I’m a zero
But, hey, everyone you wanna be
Probably started off like me
You may say that I’m a freakshow (I don’t care)
But, hey, give me just a little time
I bet you’re gonna change your mind

All of the dirt you’ve been throwin’ my way
It ain’t so hard to take, that’s right
‘Cause I know one day you’ll be screamin’ my name
And I’ll just look away, that’s right

(Chorus)
Just go ahead and hate on me and run your mouth
So everyone can hear
Hit me with the words you got and knock me down
Baby, I don’t care
Keep it up, I’m tunin’ up to fade you out
You wanna be
A loser like me

Push me up against the locker
And hey, all I do is shake it off
I’ll get you back when I’m your boss
I’m not thinkin’ ’bout you haters
‘Cause hey, I could be a superstar
I’ll see you when you wash my car

All of the dirt you’ve been throwin’ my way
It ain’t so hard to take, that’s right
‘Cause I know one day you’ll be screamin’ my name
And I’ll just look away, that’s right

(Chorus)
Just go ahead and hate on me and run your mouth
So everyone can hear
Hit me with the words you got and knock me down
Baby, I don’t care
Keep it up, I’m tunin’ up to fade you out
You wanna be
A loser like me

Hey, you, over there
Keep the L up-up in the air
Hey, you, over there
Keep the L up, ’cause I don’t care
You can throw your sticks, and you can throw your stones
Like a rocket, just watch me go
Yeah, l-o-s-e-r
I can only be who I are

(Chorus)
Just go ahead and hate on me and run your mouth
So everyone can hear
Hit me with the words you got and knock me down
Baby, I don’t care
Keep it up, I’m tunin’ up to fade you out
You wanna be
A loser like me

About these ads

7 thoughts on “Song of the Day #1,064: ‘Loser Like Me’ – ‘Glee’ Cast

I agree with all you have said. I too wasn’t thrilled with the venture into original songs, but this song, which is now in heavy rotation on Radio Disney, stands as the exception.

By the way, while Glee constantly bends all forms of reality, how absurd is it that a group of high school students, who may otherwise be able to sing and dance, would be expected to (or be able to) write a great song in a matter of days (or in the case of the finale, a day)? And why on earth, from a purely strategic standpoint, would the glee club put their national champs aspirations on a song that they had not even written, let alone practiced or performed a day earlier? Just pure silliness, but, hey, like so much on this show, one just has to go with it (unless the scene involves rain on the stage, at which point Amy draws the line:))

I, too, agree with everything you say here, Clay. The only little tiny part of me that wasn’t groaning was the part that wondered if Ryan Murphy was going to use this storyline as an opportunity to give the cast members who DO write their own music (such as Mark Salling’s Puck, whose album has been in heavy rotation at our house for the past six months) a chance to share that music with the Glee audience.

Silly me… why would Murphy want to give them a chance to do something like show off a songwriting talent and give a boost to songs that likely won’t benefit the Glee machine one bit? I guess he wouldn’t. So… we got a ridiculous plotline, a couple of incredibly inane songs, some comic highlights (I was a fan of the number by Mercedes) and today’s SOTD, the bona fide hit.

I’ll take Dana’s criticism of the show’s lack of reality a step further. Once you’ve gotten the kids to write “Loser Like Me,” the anthem that clearly says everything they’d ever want to say in a song, why not simply bring that original number to the finals? What?! You write an original song that helps you take Regionals and you have to shelf it because you performed it one time?!

I know, I know… we’re doing that thing again. Asking Glee to make sense. That would make the Season 2, volume 6 CD one track short of being able to ask full price!!!! Ah – the MACHINE that is Glee.

Still, love this song and loved this scene. Great choice :) And thanks for the opportunity to vent!

Oh, btw, the machine got hold of your clip. You’ll need to go to that Chinese website to find a replacement….

Thanks… replaced.

5. Kerrie Rueda says:

Such a catchy song!! It’s in rotation on the Pop Hits station, too, and I love it!! I had the same fears about original songs and I have to agree with Amy that it would have been wonderful if they used this at Nationals, too (even though Sue Sylvester wasn’t there to hear it).

As far as the other criticisms, I understand where everyone is coming from, but I happily engage in “the WILLING suspension of disbelief” (a concept I learned many years ago in Theater Appreciation at UF), when watching Glee. While there are, obviously, real issues addressed on the show, and there are genuine moments of reality, the show is basically a fantasy. That’s actually one of the reasons I love it; it’s escapism and I eat it up for that. :-)

I too agree with everything you said. When they aren’t singing songs already written, for the most part, I hit the fast forward button. Sorry.

7. Maddie says:

I’m a little late on this, but I just wanted to comment on them being able to use some of the actually AMAZINGLY written songs from Mark and Darren (and whoever else there may write). I just don’t see why they can’t get some of their Glee star’s music out there to the world. Even if they get a lot of money from the exposure, what is more likely to happen is that the glee cover of the song is going to sell alot on itunes, and they will make the same amount of money or more as they did for Loser Like Me. Maybe it’s never gonna fit with an original song idea thing, but I don’t see why not have a week where some of the cast memebers (in the form of their characters), get to show off what talent they have.