Song of the Day #593: ‘Clutch’ – Shea Seger

Here’s one for the “where are they now?” file. Of course, nobody really knew where Shea Seger was then either. Then would be 2001, when she released her first (and only) album, The May Street Project.

Seger is an interesting mix of a Norah Jones-style balladeer and a hip-hop sensibility. She strikes me as a more accessible version of Ani DiFranco or Tori Amos, which if you think about it is a really great thing to be. I don’t know if I can think of anybody recording today who fits that niche. The May Street Project was well-received critically and Seger had a minor hit with today’s SOTD.

And then nothing. She hasn’t recorded another album since, though she popped up on a soundtrack a couple of years ago. Every time I pull out The May Street Project — which, admittedly, is not very often — I wonder how somebody with clear talent and a sound that sets her apart from the pack could end up failing so completely.

But perhaps her long hiatus was something she wanted to do. I just Googled her and discovered via her MySpace page that she has an album due out soon, nine years after her debut. I’ll check that one out for sure.

As an aside, Seger is not the sort of woman I usually find attractive. She has long blonde hair and a rather angular face… sort of a Kim Raver or Ali Larter thing going on. Not my type. But in the official video for this song, which features her facing off in a ring against some sort of ultimate fighting champion, she is quite hot. That’s because she wears sweat pants and a white tank top, a favorite of mine. In the battle between “not my type” and “sweats and a white tank top,” the outfit wins out.

So there, you got me in your clutch again
So there, so there

I love your touch and that voodoo that you do so well
It’s got me spinning around and round

So let me in your world
Let me in your world for a while
Let me in your world so I can sing to you
Oh no you got me going crazy for you baby
Oh no you made me go insane for you baby

So there you got me in your clutch again
And this living is strange
We count our feelings in yesterdays
But is that how you keep me in your clutch baby
Is that how you keep it darlin’

Let me in your world
Let me in your world for a while
Let me in your world so I can sing to you

Oh no you got me going crazy for you baby
Oh no you made me go insane for you baby

About these ads

6 thoughts on “Song of the Day #593: ‘Clutch’ – Shea Seger

Wow. Nothing. Not the name. Not the song. Exactly how minor was this hit? And how did she ever wind up on your radar? As for her disappearance and long absence, I would imagine anyone who has an album first drop in the year of September 11 had a bumpy year.

Regardless, I’m sure there are far more … what the heck is her name? … Shea Seger’s of the world than you’d care to imagine. That this happens isn’t as unusual as the fact that you’re not more aware of how often it does.

Oh, and now that I’m finally hearing this song, I’m not liking it. At all!

Really? Why not? I’m fascinated by the reasons the same song can strike two relatively like-minded people completely differently. I suppose we’re less like-minded when it comes to music than TV or movies, but we have enough overlap that I’m surprised when you actively dislike a song I think is great.

Who is this and why do I care?

Clearly, she made such money off of this song that she could afford to retire.

This song goes in one ear and out the other for me. It’s not that it’s bad. It’s just blah. I wouldn’t leave it on the radio, and it wouldn’t make be crave more. I think the disconnect between you and me (and Amy?) is that we really are not big fans of pop/dance music and you have more affection for it. This is rather light weight stuff and it doesn’t have enough edge to make it interesting to me.

I don’t know that I can point to a particular reason why I don’t like it. I guess I’d just suggest you go back to yesterday’s SOTD to see what I do like. The main distinction between our musical tastes, I think, is that yours are far more varied than mine are. The music I love I adore, but there are a relatively small handful of artists who fall into that category. Most often, they will be singer songwriters, who write meaningful songs set to lovely melodies. Sometimes, they have a rock edge, but it’s a folk rock sensibility rather than a hard driving one. And that’s about it. So I guess this sort of pop confection just doesn’t do much for me. Then it’s repetitive, which really bugs me.

That said, I don’t that I “actively dislike” it, as I’d never heard it before this morning. But I admit to being equally confounded as to why you find it great.

I like it for two primary reasons:

1. The beat — that bass and drum line is fabulous, and very well produced.

2. The vocals on the “So let me in your world” verse… I love that sultry whisper and the melody leading up to the chorus.

Dana, I appreciate you not liking pop/dance music, but I don’t get your stated preference for “edge” when you count Norah Jones and Jack Johnson among your favorites. I don’t mean that as a knock on either of them, but for me they define “lack of edge” and (sometimes) “blah.”

I hear edge in Elvis Costello, Ben Folds, Aimee Mann, Vampire Weekend, Joe Jackson and I’m right with you there. But I don’t think edge is the common denominator in everything you like. Of course nobody is simple enough to have one common denominator in everything they like, so I suppose that’s to be expected.

I like Jones and Johnson well enough, but wouldn’t say I love them–and the reason is probably just that–a lack of “edge” and a fairly uniform sound throughout their discographies. But, if I am going to stray away from “edge,” it will always be in the vein of a Jones, a Johnson, a Chapman, a Taylor (James or Swift), etc.. as I, like Amy, tend to gravitate to the singer/songwriter with a folk vibe over generic pop.