Song of the Day #589: ‘It Looks Like Love’ – Josh Rouse

Josh Rouse spent the year after Nashville‘s release in Spain, where he moved in with girlfriend Paz Suay. So the Nebraska boy who made his name in Nashville was suddenly a Spaniard.

His next release, 2006’s Subtitulo, reflected the move in its lyrics as well as, to some degree, its music. The album is predominantly made up of Rouse’s brand of smart acoustic pop but he introduced a few Latin flavors, including Suay’s charming vocals on one track.

Subtitulo was also his most sensual album yet, suggesting the lovely Spaniard taught this country boy a few tricks.

One of the best tracks is ‘It Looks Like Love,’ a dirty little love song about a woman with few inhibitions helping an insecure guy believe in love again.

She sends a little photograph
That she shot in the nude
She doesn’t wear a conscience
She doesn’t play by rules

She turn me on, baby, every night
And in the daytime too
I’m flying at her like I never played
Like some clueless fool

There goes that melancholy feeling again
It looks like love is gonna find a way
And just when you stop believing in it
It looks like love is gonna show its face
Hey hey hey

I got some things to show her
Take her to my room
She likes to eat that chocolate
She likes to sit on me too, yes, yes
She got me coming, baby, every night
And in the daytime, too
I’m flying at her like I never played
Like some clueless fool

There goes that melancholy feeling again
It looks like love is gonna find a way
And just when you stop believing in it
It looks like love is gonna show its face
Hey hey hey

And just when you stop believing in it
It looks like love is gonna show its face
Hey hey hey

About these ads

9 thoughts on “Song of the Day #589: ‘It Looks Like Love’ – Josh Rouse

1. daniel says:

Could have been the song playing over the credits in Vicky Christy Barcelona. I’m happy for the guy that he found love, but as a concept for a song (or an album) – what a cliche.

This song has a nice sound, but I don’t like it as much as the earlier stuff. At the 1:30 mark, I expected to hear Michael Penn’s voice :)

Wow–quite the insightful comment from Daniel–I had no idea he had even seen Vicky Cristina Barcelona, let alone being familiar with the work of Michael Penn.:) And how jaded is he at the tender age of nine to find the song and album cliche?:)

Anyway, I am familiar with this song, although I don”t know if it is from seeing Vicky Cristina with “Daniel” or from the IPod. I like it!

Daniel has become so much more jaded since he turned 9! And I’m not sure why the lad considers a comparison to Michael Penn a negative thing. Nor do I think the idea of finding love should be dismissed as a cliche, unless we’re willing to resign 95% of recorded music — including many of Daniel’s favorites — to that bin.

Oh, I long for the innocent days when young Daniel was inspired by the simple pleasures of a Beatles song, or the giddy synth-pop of Owl City. :-)

I don’t think Daniel was referring to a person finding love as a trite concept, but rather of the repressed anglo being awakened by the hot latino as the cliche worth abandoning. And I agree with him. The lad is insightful!

But I don’t see anything about that in this song’s lyrics or in the album as a whole. I gave you the back story of his move to Spain, which (cliche or not) is what he actually did. But if I hadn’t mentioned it, would you have heard this song and thought “another song about a repressed anglo and a hot latina!”? I doubt it.

And neither would Daniel!

You’re right. We wouldn’t have. We were responding to your commentary more than Rouse’s song. Our bad :)

Now we need to straighten Daniel up with regards to Bob Dylan.

I mean, I’m the biggest Brad Paisley fan among us, but I wouldn’t shoot down ‘Subterranean Homesick Blues’ in favor of ‘Catch All the Fish’! :-)

Nor, would I guess, would you call either of them “useless.” ;)

Oh yeah, that was the best part!